Author Topic: Clutch disc issue when wet  (Read 604 times)

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
Clutch disc issue when wet
« on: 27.12. 2016 12:44 »
So I have a brand new SRM complete clutch setup on my A10. Everything seems very well made .  Before I put my primary cover on and out my chain oil in the bike kicks over great and starts every time . I even went two blocks and back to make sure the gearbox was good and it was .  I did apply a tiny bit of chain oil on the chain to go down the street and back . Once the cover is on and proper amount of oil is in the clutch obviously gets oil on it and then it slips so bad it won't even turn the engine over to kick start it .  If I pull cover clean oil off the discs and reinstall it is fine . Clutch springs are adjusted even and only have one coil showing per manf.  I even tried some Kevlar discs that say Atf fluid thinking that would help ....same thing happens .  Bout to do a belt drive

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clutch disc issue when wet
« Reply #1 on: 27.12. 2016 13:10 »
Clutch springs are adjusted even and only have one coil showing per manf.

I would put the cover on and oil in, then tighten the springs a half turn at a time until it bites then try it, as long as it does not drag it's ok.
Manufactures settings not always reliable as there are so many variables with new parts.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.12. 2016 15:28 »
I had similar happen when last installing my six-spring clutch. I was in a hurry and just set the springs for a comfortable/easy grip force. Fought like hell to start the bike again at my distant destination. Tightened-up the springs by, maybe, a turn-and-a-half and everything was fine. Just needed to squeeze the grip a bit harder, but not Herculean.

I don't think I'd have the patience for Bill's "half-turn" approach, because of the repeated on and off of the primary cover. Maybe easier to go a little tighter than absolutely needed as long as you can grip the lever with reasonable comfort to full clutch disengagement.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.12. 2016 18:26 »
I don't think I'd have the patience for Bill's "half-turn" approach, because of the repeated on and off of the primary cover.

Ah you got me Richard, I had forgotten that not all P Covers have the adjusting hole that both mine have, makes life a lot easier
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.12. 2016 19:29 »
Hi,
I did apply a tiny bit of chain oil on the chain to go down the street and back . Once the cover is on and proper amount of oil is in the clutch obviously gets oil on it and then it slips so bad it won't even turn the engine over to kick start it .

What oil are you using in the primary case *????*
The oil or ATF must be suitable for wet clutches
Its possible that the chain lube has contaminated the oil you added  *????*
Is there clearance on the clutch pushrod adjustment *????*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 28.12. 2016 12:19 »
Dex3 ATF
These discs said to only use ATF fluid .
Now that you bring up contamination I didn't clean chain other than wiping it with a rag . I did clean rear primary backing plate pretty good . 

Yeah I wish I had N inspection/ adjustment hole to adjust springs but I don't . Off with the cover .
Thanks  all I'll post what happens

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 28.12. 2016 12:59 »
I went with Dex 3 since it covers a lot of auto transmissions and since autos have friction discs I figured I was ok .
I have a few thousands of pushrod play

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.12. 2016 17:07 »
Hi,
There needs to be 1/8 to 3/16 free play in the clutch cable at the lever on the gearbox
The angle of the lever and internal pusher should be 90degrees(or a little more)  to the pushrod when the handlebar lever is pulled against the handlebar
Where is the pressure plate adjuster positioned?
A possibility is that if the pushrod is cut  too short the pusher might sit against the end of the mainshaft  *????*
so you could have play at the cable end but none in the clutch itself
New plates will quickly compress a little so maybe there's not enough play at the pressure plate adjuster
I seem to remember something like backing off a 1/2 turn out from touching on the adjusting screw?
SRM clutches come with "Surflex" plates which are regarded as the best available??

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)