Author Topic: Newly chromed tank, best protection until paint?  (Read 436 times)

Online spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Hi All. I would like to seek the opinion of the forum users. After searching for many years to find the correct tank for my late Star-Twin plunger, I've had it re-chromed at great expense as it was in such a state! Its going to be a while before all the tinware is painted as I would like it all done together as its a metallic to ensure that its all the same shade.    So, what is the best way to protect the chrome up until then?   I have considered ACF50 as an option which seems to be silicon free but are there any other issues that will make my painter shout and scream?  Any other recommendations?
 Best Regards, Peter
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
Re: Newly chromed tank, best protection until paint?
« Reply #1 on: 28.12. 2016 22:01 »
Hi Peter,
When I've also been in the same situation I've always made sure I've kept the tank indoors, especially at this time of the year, rather than the shed or garage...I think that's the most important thing. Then I've either used a small amount of ACF50 or Autoglym polish, but only used it on the area of chrome that's not going to be painted. The painter hasn't complained yet...

Steve

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #2 on: 29.12. 2016 09:04 »
Hi Peter.

My A7 tank was re-chromed and painted in 1984 and spent the following 26 years in top of my wardrobe. It got an occasional dust and polish with turtle wax and now after 4 years use still looks as good as the day it was done  *smile* (well except for the two paint chips done in use  *problem*). So I would just store yours somewhere warm and dry, I think the painter will have to etch/unpolish the chrome in the areas for painting anyway so what you use for protection should not matter.

1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 29.12. 2016 22:37 »
If its just been rechromed it only needs protecting from knocks, scratches and spillages.
Put it in a cardboard box on a high, secure shelf.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 30.12. 2016 01:15 »
If it is going to sit for a long time, WAX the tank.
Any one of the old fashioned Canurbra ? waxes will be fine .
Chrome is full of micro cracks where the nickle substrate is exposed.
Moisture will collect in the cracks and galvanic corrosion will happen with the nickel being the sacrificed metal.
This is very slow and you wont notice till after it has been on the bike for a while and rust pimples will start to show through.
Your other big friend is cotton,
Wrap the tank in pure cotton ( old sheet or pillow cases are ideal ) as any condensation will be adsorbed & distributed through the cotton.
Most important is not to touch the chrome before wrapping with bare hands.
There is a very good reason why electroplates wear cotton glover and it is not so they can do Jacko impressions during crib.
Bike Beesa
Trevor