Author Topic: Lovely letter from previous owner!  (Read 344 times)

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
Lovely letter from previous owner!
« on: 30.12. 2016 12:21 »
I bought my A10 from a dealer so missed out on the chat with the previous owner to get the history so I decided to write to the previous owner listed on the V5. Didn't expect to hear back but I was delighted to get a package containing a pair of number plates for the front mudguard and a lovely letter from the 80 year old previous owner. I now understand why the Amal looked new - it is! Other useful info in there as well. 
I have copied the whole letter below. I gotta look after the old bike now eh?

Dear Brian,
Thank you for your letter concerning my old friend PJW 24. It is a pleasure for me to reflect on such a lovely old friend.
I bought her off a chap at Poole in Dorset a while ago, after being a B.S.A. man (and a few other brands) all my motor cycling life since I was 16, which is from Bantam to the Golden Flash so I will now tell you what I know about PJW 24.
When I bought her I naturally started to check her over as I like things to be right. The first thing to surface was that the dynamo was not charging so that had to be sorted This was done by a good friend of mine who is what I call an old fashioned automobile electrician, somebody who knows everything about old bikes and cars. These chaps are hard to find as there are a lot of chaps and firms that think they know all about it but in truth don't know all the ins and outs of old machines etc.
On seeing the bike to take the dynamo out he noticed that the wiring was not in a very good condition so he rewired the whole bike except for the rear light wiring which appeared OK. He also fitted a modern voltage regulator in the tool box, the two wires you see there are attached to the battery which is near new so that you do not have to take the seat off when charging the battery.
The engine as you say runs fine and pulls like a train but on examining the carb, the one that was fitted turned out to be off an A7 so I ditched that and fitted the correct new carb for the A10. I have not touched the engine but as you can see it is obvious that much work has been carried out as all the alloy bits have been cleaned (blasted) and the cylinder pots powder coated so it is obvious that the engine has been stripped and received attention at some time and as you say it runs fine. The clutch has had all the plates re-corked and the brakes relined so they will need bedding in.
After spending over £200 on two sets of exhaust pipes that did not fit I managed to find another local craftsman who made a pair of stainless front pipes for me.
I filled the slots in the tank badge screws with fibre glass resin so that any low life individual will have trouble if they take a fancy to them as these badges are very hard to find and I hope that Steve gave you the special tank bolt tool I left with him for the new owner, if not ask him for it as it is special.
The Matchless style side lights were there when I got the bike but the special headlamp was a special that I always had on my bikes as with the locking twistgrip.
The reason that I had to part with the bike was that not like old machines that can be refurbed to near new, us humans get weaker as we get older and as I am nearly 80 I was finding that for safety sake I should hang up my helmet as my reactions and physical strength are not what they used to be. I would have loved to have put her in my front room where I could admire and polish her (the bike) but for some unknown reason the wife said it was either her or the bike! So there you have it my friend, I must end now as I am getting a bit sentimental so I hope you get much pleasure from PJW 24.
I am enclosing a set of front number plates which I did not fit but you might like to.
My very best regards to you,
A*****
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Lovely letter from previous owner!
« Reply #1 on: 30.12. 2016 14:24 »
Very nice.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Billybream

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 30.12. 2016 15:58 »
Most impressed with the letter from it's former owner.
Part of my bike file is a write up of its history and a year by year log of works done, to help it's next keeper.
I have it tittled as it's provenance.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.12. 2016 18:40 »
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Offline tommo903

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 30.12. 2016 20:18 »
That's a nice letter Brian and reassuring to know that the previous owner obviously had a passion for the bike and wanted to do the best he could for it.
Out of interest, did the dealer pass the special tank bolt tool onto you?

Steve

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 30.12. 2016 21:08 »
This is excellent, thanks for the post.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 30.12. 2016 21:49 »
That's a nice letter Brian and reassuring to know that the previous owner obviously had a passion for the bike and wanted to do the best he could for it.
Out of interest, did the dealer pass the special tank bolt tool onto you?
Steve

Oh yes  *smile*
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 30.12. 2016 23:27 »
G'day Brian, thanks for that mate.
Might be a good idea once in a while taking her round to show him and maybe even a double round the block.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 31.12. 2016 07:25 »
Might be a good idea once in a while taking her round to show him and maybe even a double round the block.

That's a great idea Musky.

Someone once said we are only custodians of these motorcycles...  *eek*
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900