Author Topic: Who to trust to re-build the bottom end ?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Who to trust to re-build the bottom end ?
« on: 27.05. 2009 19:05 »

Two questions please guys if you can help.

1/ I had the timing side cover off to change the dynamo chain and also took the oil pump off to clean / check it out. The oil pump has SRM engraved on the end plate, but it looks like a std BSA pump, does anyone know if SRM made pumps like that before they made their fancy anodised jobbies ?

2/ While the pump was off I found some end float on the crank, I didn't measure it accurately [I will do that shortly] but it must be about 15 thou, and there is about 3-4 thou play between the main bearing bush and the crank so a re-build is on the cards. The question is, who would you trust in England [apart from SRM in wales] to fit a new lead bronze bush and line reamer it to the crank journal. Anyone had a good experience or recommendation ??

The rest of the build I can do myself no problem but I would rather have someone do this for me.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Who to trust to re-build the bottom end ?
« Reply #1 on: 27.05. 2009 19:30 »
You must have dozens of engine shops around Brum Andy, any competent shop can do your line reaming, helps if you can take them the relevant BSA service sheet.
I've had two bottom ends done in  Berwick ( Border Engines ) second one did have an issue but they took it in and did again for free, so that was fair enough and demonstrates the advantage of having it done local, no postage and you can pop back if you have any queries.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #2 on: 28.05. 2009 08:31 »
On the subject of the oil pump,when SRM rebuilt my pump with a cast iron body(good) they engraved the end plate as part of the rebuild.So you poss have a cast iron bodied pump now so one less thing to worry about.

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 28.05. 2009 14:44 »
Hi A10Boy I had my complete engine built by Bob Wardle in Newcastle who also did the end feed conversion and I have no hesitation in recommending him for price and quality of work if you would like his details let me know Chris

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 28.05. 2009 17:57 »
Hope you got pm if anyone else thinks i have 2 chains that is reflection on the chrome g/box plate Chris

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #5 on: 28.05. 2009 21:13 »
LOL I didn't think it actually had two chains, I thought it must be some sort of an optical delusion.  *smiley4*

Thanks for the info.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2009 22:11 »
Hi Andy did you get the other details I sent Chris