Author Topic: Head gaskets  (Read 1870 times)

Offline gt6uk

• Moving Up
Head gaskets
« on: 06.01. 2017 18:57 »
I have recently been given a genuine NOS BSA top end gasket set which includes a composite ( copper/asbestos ) head gasket. How do these compare to the solid copper gaskets now available?

Steve.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Head gaskets
« Reply #1 on: 06.01. 2017 19:35 »
I have never been a fan of those composite gaskets for me they have always failed go with the solid copper but don't forget they have to be annealed before use and you can use them again unlike the composite ones.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 07.01. 2017 01:22 »
 When I use a really old paper gasket set, some gaskets you find might seem too small. Stud holes are too close and it is all just a little wrong.

Just use a spray bottle with water and mist the gaskets a little.

The paper loses its moisture over the years and actually shrinks. They will get back to the original size in 10 or 15 minutes. Just dont soak them, they are paper after all.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.01. 2017 10:33 »
I have recently been given a genuine NOS BSA top end gasket set which includes a composite ( copper/asbestos ) head gasket. How do these compare to the solid copper gaskets now available?

Steve.

I used those composite gadgets in my youth but not recently.....they obviously work ok, and are probably more forgiving of unflat heads and barrels, but if they fail, in my experience, it is usually "catastrophic" eg no compression, and often between cylinders, whereas a solid copper will generally just leak.....albeit noisily......and get you home on one and a half, as opposed to one cylinder, or none.

Just my 2 cents worth......
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 19.02. 2017 02:02 »
I have also had a composite one fail (many years ago) and it blew from the cylinder to the push rod tunnel. Having the new trendy alloy pushrods at the time it melted two of the damned things. I was in Leicester about 100 miles from home and I remember using grinding paste to lap the head on a showroom window at about one in the morning while nobody was about :)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.02. 2017 04:36 »
  I was in Leicester about 100 miles from home and I remember using grinding paste to lap the head on a showroom window at about one in the morning while nobody was about :)

So that was YOU!

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 19.02. 2017 06:35 »
Steve, I don't use NOS gaskets as there is better quality products available now. If you did use that head gasket be sure to use some sealant around the pushrod area. TC
59 Super Rocket 

Offline The Artful Bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 19.02. 2017 11:09 »
I have one on my Huntmaster, after having the head skimmed I torqued it down on the bench then the next day torqued it down again, it went down quite a bit. I fitted the engine in the bike and torqued it down again, it went down more.
  I ran the bike for a few miles and torqued it down again (the Huntmaster is easier for removing the rocker assembly) and it went down again. Did 500 miles and yes................ it tightened up again! After about another 1000 miles I had a slight oily-nes from the left cylinder so I bought a copper gasket ready to replace it, but being lazy decided to try to tighten it again, it went down again and cured the oily-nes
  However 4000 miles later and it's still's fine with no leaks so fingers crossed, if and when I take the head off again I'll be using the solid copper gasket.
  On my M21 I decided to use a composite gasket as the alli cylinder head had seen better days including welding a crack in the combustion area, like the Huntmaster it took a number of re-torquing sessions before it totally settled in (much easier with a side valve!) and it's been fine for the 2000 odd miles I've put on it.
Colin

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 19.02. 2017 17:53 »
not a fan of the composite gasket,had one blow on me coming back from an MOT , replaced it with a copper one, never been an issue since.
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #9 on: 19.02. 2017 20:12 »
Old Minis have given me grief when trying composite gaskets. That was before realising the need to run the engine up to temperature and then, on cooling, retorque the head nuts.
The best solution I found was to use annealed copper gaskets AND check torque after running at temperature.
Compared to the A10 the 'land' between cylinders on the Mini is narrow but I still prefer solid copper for the A10s.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #10 on: 23.02. 2017 08:33 »
There was another thread recently on carbon fibre head gaskets. The initial comments sounded promising.

I would like to hear more from those with experience of this relatively new development.

Anyone?
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #11 on: 23.02. 2017 09:26 »
I have fitted  solid carbon fiber head gasket (as stated in a privies thread) supplied by Draganfly, it is still going well with on oil leaks and it has not been re-torqued since assemble over 12 months ago and has done over 3000 miles.Time will tel if it is OK but certainly looks good at present.
Peter 

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 23.02. 2017 09:39 »
This is a tricky one, I don't expect a head gasket to fail, ever.  *problem* .So it's going to take a very long time before I would buy a fibre one.....And lots of members reporting doing lots of miles  *dunno2*

Hopefully my current solid copper gasket will outlast me (as long as I keep annealing it each head removal) but maybe that's why the carbon one was thought of...... *whistle*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 23.02. 2017 10:07 »

Steve.

Maybe they couldn't find a buyer, so went next option ?

I was in Leicester about 100 miles from home and I remember using grinding paste to lap the head on a showroom window at about one in the morning while nobody was about :)

So that was YOU!

No- it was me ..but Sparticus was not far away                         *smile*

I'm using a copper one and am quite happy thus far, and the re-re..?..usability appeals to me

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 24.02. 2017 01:51 »
 I remember when I was young my dad always sprayed this really thick silver paint on all his head gaskets, but I don't remember  what it was..... *sad2*

Now this is going to bother me.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.