Author Topic: Kickstart and gear change levers  (Read 921 times)

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Kickstart and gear change levers
« on: 08.01. 2017 02:16 »
Recently purchased a kickstart lever and a gear change lever. Made sure they were made in UK, received them yesterday and very disappointed with the overall quality.

They're made by MCA Aston LTD.
The kickstart lever cotter pin doesn't even fit at either end or through each hole. The bottom section isn't even round.

As for the gear change lever, the gear selector shaft hole is not centered, either end of it is not round and the overall finish is disappointing. Looks like they finished it off with a file.

Will not be installing these on to the bike and would like to hear from others where they sourced theirs from and what company's to avoid.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Kickstart and gear change levers
« Reply #1 on: 08.01. 2017 06:36 »
G'day mate.
"Made In" means different things in different countries. It could mean actually made there or it could mean it was put in it's final package there. I've had about 85% disappointment rate for products labeled mca or wassel.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline peter small

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 09.01. 2017 17:48 »
I've seen the pictures of these items and they are very poor in fact the kick start spline is so off centre its so thin on the one side it could break.
The casting hasn't been polished correctly and the sand cast marks show in the chroming.
The radius on the arm isn't the same on both sides they are poor items, I am ashamed to say they are purported to be British.

I wont be dealing with that company.
BSA ROAD ROCKET 650cc 1954
Norton commando Roadster 750cc 1972
Triumph T140 Silver jubilee 750cc 1977
Honda Pan European ST1100  2000
Honda C90 1990

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 09.01. 2017 19:35 »
I had trouble with MCA 20 years ago and will always avoid buying  anything sold by them, I had pushrods that were too short sent them back only for them to return them to me telling me that they were made to BSA drawings,also I was the only person to complain and if not satisfied buy from someone else. All this when I sent them an original pushrod with the faulty ones, I found out later that I was not the only person that had problems with their pushrods and other spares.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 15.01. 2017 00:33 »
I've seen the pictures of these items and they are very poor in fact the kick start spline is so off centre its so thin on the one side it could break.
The casting hasn't been polished correctly and the sand cast marks show in the chroming.
The radius on the arm isn't the same on both sides they are poor items, I am ashamed to say they are purported to be British.

I wont be dealing with that company.

Great to see you on here Pete!

I ended up purchasing an original factory clip folding kickstart lever. Will cost more to have it rechromed but no doubt will fit and not break.

As for the gearchange lever, I think I have an original one and will have to hunt for it in the many boxes of parts.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 15.01. 2017 06:29 »
And that's why we always say "Don't throw anthing out"! *eek*
59 Super Rocket 

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 18.01. 2017 22:53 »
And that's why we always say "Don't throw anthing out"! *eek*

I don't throw parts away, my father put the later type Spring and ball kickstart on it (still have it). Just want to have the original spring clip type.

Purchased a oil tank cap from Draganfly, only to find out it's made by MCA and wow the quality is (there is nothing of quality to mention). Will return it even though it will cost just as much as the part but I'm not going to help support MCA.