Author Topic: Changing tyres  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Jowan

• Moving Up
Changing tyres
« on: 09.01. 2017 20:48 »
I've just ordered Ensign trials tyres for my A7 SS Catalina (350x19 front & 400x19 rear, currently 3.25 front & 350 rear) from really helpful guys at vintage tyres. Will they fit? Not sure it will be tight. Thing is I haven't a clue how to change the tyres let alone remove the wheels! Actually I've just been out to the garage & I've picked up a flat on the rear! Sorry for asking advice on such a (probably) straightforward job but I'm new here! Signposting to a good online resource would be great & kit needed for the job....or just some good old fashioned advice please.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Re: Changing tyres
« Reply #1 on: 09.01. 2017 23:13 »
Easy job changing tyres. Pinch some table spoons out of the wife's kitchen draw makes tyre swapping easy. P S don't forget to straighten them before you put them back.   *bash*

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.01. 2017 00:01 »
I would not say it's easy.....brute force overcomes poor technique.....some tips (which could probably be found using the search function.....). There must be YouTube vids on this as well.....

1. Have a spare inner in case you puncture one during fitting...
2. Use Talcum powder to make the inner slippery.
3. Put yr heaviest boots on, if helps when standing on the tyre...to stop it slipping back off the rim when fitting.
4. Rest the wheel flat on some 4x2 bits of wood.
5. Spray silicon spray around the rim to make the tyre slide over it easier.
6. If you are using a lot of force to get the tyre on it means you have not got the tyre positioned correctly in the well of the rim, on the other side of the rim....if you see what I mean.
7. Order of play is:
A. Push tyre half way on, it should be possible without levers
B. Install inner tube and valve, do valve nut loosely at this stage
C. Push tyre fully on using levers.
D. Over inflate the tyre and check the bead line is even all round, and valve not under strain, deflate, break the bead and re inflate if not.
E. deflate and re inflate and recheck the bead is even. Do valve nut up.
F. Have a beer
G. Make sure the tyre is on the right way if directional, balance it if you want (I don't bother).
H. Have another beer.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.01. 2017 07:43 »
[quote author=Jowan         Thing is I haven't a clue how to change the tyres let alone remove the wheels!

In this case I would suggset you take the bike and tyres to a motorcycle shop and pay a professional to do it. Always a good idea to fit new tubes in new tyres.
Cheers Tomcat
59 Super Rocket 

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 10.01. 2017 10:09 »
A visual guide here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE1qG9iQZlg&feature=player_embedded

I have always changed my own tyres and some are easier than others!

I wish this tool was a bit cheaper coz I would buy it in a heartbeat!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRLymbFBCg

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 10.01. 2017 11:53 »
Hi Jowan,  need abit more info re removing wheels ,how about a couple of pictures ? Also re Kiwi's post by half on He means one side of the new tyre on . Before you do put it on check the rim tape in fact as already said by Tomcat don't mess around new tyres equal new tubes and a new rim tape ,you've only one neck ! after all .With the rim tape removed check for any spokes protruding etc.
back to fitting 'em, in place of silicone which I'm sure is great you could use washing up liquid ,messy but helps thing slide , keep the tyre well into the "well" of the rim ,tread the tyre round as far as you can (kiwi's  heavy boots ) with abit of luck you'll only need to use tyre levers for about the last 12 inches ,( not screw drivers ) check the levers don't have any sharp edges by the way ,don't push the levers in too far to avoid the tube  ,take small bits at a time and don't use brute force ,keep walking  the tyre round with your knees and it all should slip into place. once done inflate and check the beadline ,it should run equidistant to the rim all the way round ,if it's higher one side let out the air, whole wheel round to offending high point is at the bottom and bounce refill with air and if required repeat . When happy check for leaks with a bowl of water and if all well, go and get a few  *beer*  and breath !!  then repeat with other tyre , best of luck *wink2*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.01. 2017 12:31 »
I never seem to have much luck when I try changing my own tyres - even on a Bantam. It always seems to involve way to much effort and then too many torn inner tubes. So I guess it is my technique that is lousy.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.01. 2017 13:10 »
I have done a lot of tyre changes in my time.

Remember this:
Start and finish at the valve.

The bead must go right down into the wheel well so the opposite side can go over the wheel rim as easily as possible. The valve can get in the way of this. For this reason when taking tyres off, start at the valve; when putting them on finish at the valve. If you remember this advice and the tyre is pushed well into the wheel well you probably won't need tyre levers to put the tyre back on; a well placed boot heel should do it.

I don't know if my diagram helps  *conf*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.01. 2017 14:01 »
in place of silicone which I'm sure is great you could use washing up liquid ,messy but helps thing slide

Is there I wonder washing up liquid and washing up liquid, the last time I used it on a tyre was around 196ies sometime, it certainly makes thing slide and slide and slide and slide, several tubes and torn valves later I  decided not to use it again, puncture kits usually give you some form of chalk, much better and safer
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 10.01. 2017 14:04 »
in place of silicone which I'm sure is great you could use washing up liquid ,messy but helps thing slide

Is there I wonder washing up liquid and washing up liquid, the last time I used it on a tyre was around 196ies sometime, it certainly makes thing slide and slide and slide and slide, several tubes and torn valves later I  decided not to use it again, puncture kits usually give you some form of chalk, much better and safer

I use talc - works well and smells nice!
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 10.01. 2017 14:14 »
I use talc - works well and smells nice!

Spot on Brian - I had forgotten about talc
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 10.01. 2017 18:52 »
It's a bit mad to use anything other than tyre soap as tyre soap on the bead and rim.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #12 on: 11.01. 2017 08:38 »
I use tyre soap &  Breezer tyre tool.
Changing a tyre is not difficult but there is a bit of technique involved.
Take small bites. long levers require less effort and but a couple of spare tubes just in case you pinch one.
Head the comment about getting the bead into the center of the rim.
That is the secret.
Plenty of lube & control the position of the bead. It has the be in the middle well of the rim in order to get enough slack to get it over the rim.

That Baja wratchet tool looks interesting will look into that.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Jowan

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 11.01. 2017 11:27 »
Thanks to everyone for the advice, diagrams & wit! So its basically mimicking (but on a larger scale) the hundreds bmx punctures  I used to fix as a lad including the  draw of bent  dessert spoons. Ive ordered a couple of tubes and plan to tackle this on Sunday. I will update you all  with results next week. Good or bad!

Offline Jowan

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 02.02. 2017 12:40 »
Thanks to everyone for advice. I tried with friend to change the tyres but started chewing up the powder coated rims so aborted & took bike, tyres & tubes to a local garage with a fancy tyre removing machine.
Just for the record I ended up with a Heinadau 325 on the front & a Maria 400 on the back.