Author Topic: to recommission not restore  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: to recommission not restore
« Reply #15 on: 05.03. 2017 09:22 »
Those pistons had me thinking. The barrel would lift but one piston was well stuck. Heat was applied and using a wooden block and a puller, the barrel was quietly lifted, sadly some nasty ring corrosion into that seized bore, but definitely still STD  *yeah*

So what do I find next but a heavy crank  *pull hair out* I didnt think they came out until '56 and that the early '54's simply had a polished SJ  *dunno*. I may have to hand back in my anorak. I wasnt expecting those pistons or that crankshaft.
Now I have yet to pull the bottom end apart but I certainly didnt expect to find a large journal crank in a '54.

If it does have a LJ crank, it'll definitely stand the +20 genuine BSA +20's 8:1 I have  *loveit*

Corrosion is a strange thing, one of the front engine plates looks mint, but the other is all rusty and crappy.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 05.03. 2017 10:51 »

I was wondering if it might have a LJ or SJ, but figured a LJ.. *conf*

Have yet to remove clutch centre, I hate doing those they have fought me on so many bikes.

a bit out of my league these days (Plunger= splined cutch), but how does a 'tap' or two on the side with a copper/brass drift/hammer go- that is with a complementary something on the opposite side to allay bent shaft..?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 05.03. 2017 18:57 »

I was wondering if it might have a LJ or SJ, but figured a LJ.. *conf*

Have yet to remove clutch centre, I hate doing those they have fought me on so many bikes.

a bit out of my league these days (Plunger= splined cutch), but how does a 'tap' or two on the side with a copper/brass drift/hammer go- that is with a complementary something on the opposite side to allay bent shaft..?

Amazingly the clutch centre came off very easily, I found a nut the right size and nipped up a puller which then dropped off and when I put it on a second time realized the centre had popped off the taper  *conf2* Have never had a centre come off that easily before.

My '55 race engine (another road rocket motor) was (STD) small journal with 356 and 8:1 (+20) as acquired, so I assumed the '54 would be too. Hard to see while bottom end's together but negligible cam or follower wear.
Will be really cool if its an LJ. Its definitely solid as, so certainly appears to be the heavy crank.  I guess even in a 9 year lifecycle and 11000 miles it could arguably have had a crank change  *dunno* Its certainly in prime condition under the layer of sludge
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.03. 2017 20:23 »
RR, is the barrel thick or thin flange?

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 06.03. 2017 00:10 »
RR, is the barrel thick or thin flange?

Thick flange and still standard sized, excepting a rust ring, so a very good barrel
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 11.03. 2017 02:51 »
Large journal (heavy/transitional type) crank, on std shells and timing side. no repunching of sludge trap, This motors premo  ;D
Nice tidy 356 cam. rods had the castled nuts and split pins, not planning to reuse those bolts.
Timing bush is a two piece so may be worth replacing with a 1 piece one.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 04.04. 2017 06:07 »
The big ends and timing side crank are still within tolerance and can stay standard  *woo*
the bush is due for replacing, and two differing opinions on whether to keep the bores standard as some rust form sitting. But at present everything is standard and will probably leave the bores standard too.

Have just ordered a pile of parts from Draganfly and a new carb slide to the 10TT9 from Amal  carbs (aka Burlen) , certainly wasnt impressed with  their  (Burlens) standard rest of world postage charge of 25 quid! You can add a message to the order and mine was they should be ashamed of themselves for that.
Certainly had me pondering their parentage.  *shh* I don't mind paying fair freight but 25 quid for posting a carb slide  *razz*

Interestingly the unmolested motor had two bent studs, one (a back barrel stud) of which had damaged the case (two cracks) and both appeared to have been related to poor factory assembly.

Huge shout out to Klaus for the engine stand  *wink2* awesome.

New Zealand

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 04.04. 2017 08:52 »
I'd be happy to get involved with purchasing and posting items from the UK if it helps anyone. I already did this for a chap in the USA who needed a blank sprocket.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 04.04. 2017 09:45 »
I'd be happy to get involved with purchasing and posting items from the UK if it helps anyone. I already did this for a chap in the USA who needed a blank sprocket.

That was me GB, and again- you are a saint Sir! *beer*

I feel your pain RR, If I purchased two washers from across the pond I am going to pay 10 pounds shipping no matter what. *sad2*

I think all these places get a shipping cost to the most remote destination in the world, where things have to be delivered by dog sled,   then they double it and thats what they charge everyone for worldwide. *angry*

Many of our old Brit bike parts over here are as you describe, still on standard. Rebuilding them just wasn't easily done by the average owner I dont believe. It must have been very hard for the everyday man in America to maintain a British bike in the 50s and even late 60s. The fasteners are odd (too us) as are the tools, not to mention things like Lucas magnetos. I think many just gradually fell apart and and when wood screws and hose clamps would not keep it going they were parked in sheds and forgotten.

Same thing with mid 60s to mid 70s Japanese bikes, you can still find them rusting away with less than 10,000 original miles in barns all over.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 04.04. 2017 09:54 »

That was me GB, and again- you are a saint Sir! *beer*

I feel your pain RR, If I purchased two washers from across the pond I am going to pay 10 pounds shipping no matter what. *sad2*

I think all these places get a shipping cost to the most remote destination in the world, where things have to be delivered by dog sled,   then they double it and thats what they charge everyone for worldwide. *angry*

Many of our old Brit bike parts over here are as you describe, still on standard. Rebuilding them just wasn't easily done by the average owner I dont believe. It must have been very hard for the everyday man in America to maintain a British bike in the 50s and even late 60s. The fasteners are odd (too us) as are the tools, not to mention things like Lucas magnetos. I think many just gradually fell apart and and when wood screws and hose clamps would not keep it going they were parked in sheds and forgotten.

Same thing with mid 60s to mid 70s Japanese bikes, you can still find them rusting away with less than 10,000 original miles in barns all over.

Lee

Any bike thats lived its life in New Zealand has usually been rebuilt 10 times including by some ham fisted moron. The import protections here back in the day meant bikes were run into the ground and bodged. Your unmolested US bikes are a godsend to us  *loveit*
Its a credit to these bikes that we can still keep them going so long after they were intended.
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 04.04. 2017 12:17 »

I think many just gradually fell apart and and when wood screws and hose clamps would not keep it going they were parked in sheds and forgotten.

I bough my Gutzzi from a guy who was in cahoots with a guy in the US, and in the same shipment was a many bunch of low mile (less than 2-3 K miles) A65's and Tr..trr...rr- tryasImightIcantsayit's , but mine had obviously done some and came from Michigan..but still good value

I needed a flywheel puller for my Solo Rex Chainsaw, and bought one from UnZudd, and the puller was something like ~AUd$17+ postage AUD$29 = Aud$46 , but I bought the wrong friggin' one- never trust ones memory- *bash* *bash* *bash*, found the correct one locally - ~$19     *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 04.04. 2017 12:22 »
The big ends and timing side crank are still within tolerance and can stay standard  *woo*
the bush is due for replacing, and two differing opinions on whether to keep the bores standard as some rust form sitting. But at present everything is standard and will probably leave the bores standard too.

Have just ordered a pile of parts from Draganfly and a new carb slide to the 10TT9 from Amal  carbs (aka Burlen) , certainly wasnt impressed with  their  (Burlens) standard rest of world postage charge of 25 quid! You can add a message to the order and mine was they should be ashamed of themselves for that.
Certainly had me pondering their parentage.  *shh* I don't mind paying fair freight but 25 quid for posting a carb slide  *razz*

Interestingly the unmolested motor had two bent studs, one (a back barrel stud) of which had damaged the case (two cracks) and both appeared to have been related to poor factory assembly.

Huge shout out to Klaus for the engine stand  *wink2* awesome.

Nzpost in the form of "Youshop" will forward parcels from the UK......just get burlen to send it to the Youshop depot in the uk.....
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 04.04. 2017 22:12 »
I do use youshop mainly from the states for fleabay, as the UK stuff you get pinged the VAT if posted locally so often no better off.

I've just seem the quote from draganfly for parts and 25 quid suddenly seems inconsequential and I may need a lie down
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 28.02. 2018 04:21 »
Its been a while and progress has been slow.
The bore wear and damage did result in a first os rebore to +20 and I've sourced NOS pistons.
The crank had some ovality and was marginal so it too has gone 1st undersize. A shame, but I do expect to use it not put it in a museum.
Bush replaced, crank balanced, sludge trap cleaned, magneto rebuilt locally by an electrical Engineer (who has got into doing mags after being very disappointed by NZ wide lack of expertise -I can supply details if required).
Had some minor frame repair done to the sidestand area and one of the battery box mounts and touched up worst of swing arm surface rust and on frame.
I'm going to take a minor break from racing to move this forward although its still competing with several "other" projects.
I bought some silencers off Feked and they are not the same as the originals  *problem*, but similarish and will do as a start, a wee bit annoyed.
I have been pottering with getting the frame ready to accept reassembly of ancilliaries but really need to invest in reassembling the bottom end of the engine.
Thought I was getting ruthless in culling the shed, have flogged off my 84 BMW (too modern and the band doesnt play) and need to move on my '72 rocket three  *cry*, but cough cough do seem to have added an OIF lightning and a winged wheel to the garage  *eek*

I'll post some pics soon
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #29 on: 28.02. 2018 08:41 »
G'day RR.
I've got room for the RocketIII !
What % balance?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7