Author Topic: Ratchet pinion and bushing  (Read 505 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Ratchet pinion and bushing
« on: 04.02. 2017 10:01 »
 I am having trouble understanding how these two parts are to be fitted.

Is the bushing supposed to be a press fit on the shaft, or a press fit in the ratchet?

The "bushing" I have looks like a short piece of copper water pipe someone stuck in there. It doesn't fit either and just slops around badly.

Looking at a picture of the part, it has oil grooves around the outside telling me the ratchet rotates around the bushing. Reading the service sheet and measuring my shaft, it looks like the bushing rotates around the shaft.

Having both makes no sense,  there does not appear to be oil galleries or a hole for oiling the inside of the bushing.

Should this be a very light press fit on the shaft so it doesn't spin for the little time it is used during kick-start, or a oil fit on the shaft? *conf*

The joys of miss matched parts and cases held together with wood screws.... ;)

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Ratchet pinion and bushing
« Reply #1 on: 04.02. 2017 10:40 »
G'day Lee.
It is a nice slide fit in the pinion and the shaft. It is held tight when the nut is done up. Over tightening of the nut can swell the bush and cause binding. It should have oil grooves on the outer.
A likely cause of kickstarter lock up if the bush is worn (it don't take much).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.02. 2017 14:33 »
Hi Lee,
A while ago I bought some new pinions that turned out to be oversize in the centre hole *problem*
I posted about it at the time,
I made new bushes to suit as the pinions were the flat top tooh type and were the only ones I could find
The seller was unaware of the problem and sent me a substantial discount on the parts
The fit as Muskie describes, dont forget the washer between bearing and bush

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.02. 2017 15:27 »
 Thanks guys, its odd but I understand now.

Whatever was on there as a bushing was a home made job for sure, I really believe its a piece of copper someone used when they lost the real one. No oil grooves, and it didnt fit the shaft or the ratchet. It just rattled around on there.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.