Author Topic: rocker feed hard line repairable?  (Read 677 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
rocker feed hard line repairable?
« on: 08.02. 2017 12:29 »
 Is an original oil feed pipe repairable?

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck removing the lines from the banjos and T without destroying them?

I looked at some of the aftermarket offerings, and I would rather repair the originals if at all possible.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: rocker feed hard line repairable?
« Reply #1 on: 08.02. 2017 14:08 »
repaired mine but from the Tee only, bought a length of pipe (from Ebay or amazon I think), fairly straight forward job as I recall.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.02. 2017 17:08 »
Hi,
The pipes need to be drilled out of the fittings, they are not soft soldered in but some kind of "braze"
The fittings will melt or crumble if you heat them enough to soften the "braze" DAHIK  *sad2*
I used 3/16in. copper tube to repair some not long ago with low temp silver solder

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.02. 2017 17:57 »
Hi,
The pipes need to be drilled out of the fittings, they are not soft soldered in but some kind of "braze"
The fittings will melt or crumble if you heat them enough to soften the "braze" DAHIK  *sad2*
I used 3/16in. copper tube to repair some not long ago with low temp silver solder

John

Not much pressure in there; I would have thought soft solder would be ok. More pressure in my central heating pipes and I soft solder them.
What about using bundy tubing as used in brakes?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.02. 2017 19:15 »
Hi,

John

Not much pressure in there; I would have thought soft solder would be ok. More pressure in my central heating pipes and I soft solder them.
What about using bundy tubing as used in brakes?

I've used soft solder on the banjos, without any subsequent problems....they were not silver soldered before I took them off the copper pipe only soft soldered , but I've no idea what BSA used in the way of solder originally *dunno*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.02. 2017 23:43 »
 Soft solder, hard solder, it's not going to matter in this instance. The rocker connection certainly is not going to get hot enough to effect either joint.

In both cases the only concern I would have is cracks in the joints from vibration. This would be hard to miss when wiping the oil up.

Thank you John for the heads up about having to drill the banjos. The joints looked like brazing, so I didn't want to just take a torch to it before I talked to you guys about it.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

beezermacc

« Reply #6 on: 09.02. 2017 08:33 »
I don't see any problem with the aftermarket pipes provided you buy the ones made by MCA which are copper, not the brass pipes supplied by a.n. other!

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 09.02. 2017 08:43 »
You could also use the Kunifer brake tubeing if that's easier to get hold of in the right size, its the modern ish stuff they use now . More of a yellow or white color than pure copper, its just as easy to solder etc but less likely to work harden or kink if bending due to being a copper nickel alloy.  *smiley4*
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 09.02. 2017 10:57 »
[quote author=chaterlea25
The pipes need to be drilled out of the fittings

I recently replaced mine for cosmetic reasons *loveit*. Cut the old pipe flush at brass fittings *work*, drill out remainder, bronze in new copper pipe.  *wink2*
59 Super Rocket