Author Topic: Reproduction Lucas SSU700P  (Read 1112 times)

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Reproduction Lucas SSU700P
« on: 13.02. 2017 02:50 »
Anyone have experience with the reproduction Lucas SSU700P from India and or Taiwan?

How are they? And have I got a better option?

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Re: Reproduction Lucas SSU700P
« Reply #1 on: 23.02. 2017 02:34 »
Anyone?

I wasn't lucky to have the original one.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.02. 2017 02:59 »
I've got a spare ss700p shell (no switch/ammeter) and the repros I've seen are ok except the underslung pilot light sections are the wrong shape, too deep and the glass shape quite different, but better than nothing I guess.

The attached pic shows my original (on the left) versus a repro, there may be better repros around of course.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 23.02. 2017 07:24 »
My experience with Indian parts is they are OK if you want to ride the motorcycle. If you want perfection I would suggest recondition original parts or buy pattern parts from a dealer that will take back junk. HTH
59 Super Rocket 

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.02. 2017 14:44 »
 Tomcat,

I was going to reply to you last night but got busy.

Between India and Taiwan, im going Taiwan.

I dont understand these guys in India. They obviously have the ability to move sheet metal, even by hand some seem very talented. Others, not so much. The gauge of metal they use is fine, its not tin foil.

Why cant they pull their heads out of their butts and make parts the right shape? Most times, they are "close" but off just enough.

Lee

Then I hear of parts that are rusting in transit. How much does it take to soak these parts in 50% vinegar/ 50% water and give them a rub with scotchbrite to protect them from rust? Or spray them down and wipe them off with your favorite used motor oil and send them wrapped inside a garbage bag? Yes, oiled new parts is a pain for the painter, but its easier to deal with than rust. Especially on something inside like a tank.

They all want to sell 10,000 parts, which is fine. Whichever one figures out correctly shaped, protected parts is what people want will sell them.

These cats that spend the time to write "bestest quality" and figuring out who is going to pay return shipping are not getting it done.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 28.02. 2017 01:03 »
Tomcat,

I was going to reply to you last night but got busy.

Between India and Taiwan, im going Taiwan.

I dont understand these guys in India. They obviously have the ability to move sheet metal, even by hand some seem very talented. Others, not so much. The gauge of metal they use is fine, its not tin foil.

Why cant they pull their heads out of their butts and make parts the right shape? Most times, they are "close" but off just enough.

Lee

Then I hear of parts that are rusting in transit. How much does it take to soak these parts in 50% vinegar/ 50% water and give them a rub with scotchbrite to protect them from rust? Or spray them down and wipe them off with your favorite used motor oil and send them wrapped inside a garbage bag? Yes, oiled new parts is a pain for the painter, but its easier to deal with than rust. Especially on something inside like a tank.

They all want to sell 10,000 parts, which is fine. Whichever one figures out correctly shaped, protected parts is what people want will sell them.

These cats that spend the time to write "bestest quality" and figuring out who is going to pay return shipping are not getting it done.

What you have to remember in India the person who sells them is not the person who makes them.
The man who makes them gets paid 10p and the man who plates them get paid 10p and the man who makes the glass gets paid 5p then they might pass through 20 sets of hands all making a cut before you pay £ 15.00 for the "finished product".
In Taiwan there is a real factory that makes the entire product and relies on repeat orders so the quality is higher.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 01.03. 2017 07:08 »
Thanks Trevor. So who retails the Taiwanese parts?
59 Super Rocket 

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 01.03. 2017 11:32 »
Most of the regular Pommie Bike dealers.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 30.11. 2017 01:01 »
In the end I was lucky to come across an original SSU700P, complete with headlight switch, ammeter and reflector. Wondering if I can replace parts of the original switch with pattern parts! But looking for a new reflector as the one that came with it is the sealed type typically used in the US at the time.

Ammeter will replace it with a new one and looking forward to seeing the results of the headlight coming back from being painted.