Author Topic: Peculiar Tank  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
Peculiar Tank
« on: 15.05. 2009 23:00 »
Just to say before we start, I am a complete Newbie to Classic Bikes (This being my first venture) so please go easy if my query seems platently obvious.

I have just bought a 1957 A10 Spitfire Scrambler, unfortuneatly it didn't come with the original 2.5 gallon tank. However I managed to get a temporary tank to use whilst I hunt out the proper unit for it.

I don't have a clue where and on what the tank originated from, does anyone know what it's from as I'd be very interested to know?

Brucie
Aylesbury
Bucks
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
Re: Peculiar Tank
« Reply #1 on: 16.05. 2009 08:25 »
Hi and welcome,
                 your tank looks like it could be the same as my spare tank, ie, without badges or kneegrips, also the shape looks the same. Yours appears to be chromed, whereas mine is not, although that doesn`t mean it wasn`t originally.
     I recently asked the same question as you, so here is a link to that thread which may be of some help to you.
               Richie   http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=879.0
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2009 09:29 »
Unlike the other bike assemblers BSA made most of their motorcycles and this included the petrol tanks.
Most tanks are a two piecs job with a deep drawn top and a light pressed bottom.
Deep drawing dies are very expensive where as light press dies are much cheaper so BSA tended to use the same tank top section for a very large number of motorcycles and different bottoms to suit the particular model.
So the AA version of the M20/21, B31, B33, B34 , A7, A10, A50, A65 , B40 & B44 all at some point in time or for a particular variant used the same tank top either with or without the relief pressing for which ever badge BSA fitted.
Usually the competition variant had no badge or a "special order" batch my not have a badge as decals were a lot cheaper. So your tank could be off almost anything but the underside will reveal a lot more than the top.
A lot of tinnies made a lot of money by purchasing cheap tanks cutting to bottoms out moving them up 3/4", getting them plated and selling them as "Genuine Goldie Tanks"
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 29.05. 2009 21:19 »
hey Brucie,
I missed this one when I was responding to your other tank questions!  it's great to find another '57 spitfire!!  did your numbers turn out to match?

a couple of things I see right off the bat: it looks like YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL PIPES!!! be very happy about that!  *smile* 

I don't know how much you know about the specific model, but Dpaddock has been very informative, as he has a 57.  also Daniel Boss's Super Rocket page has some great pics of John Batchler's spits, I believe the silver tanked one is a 57.

also leespeedracing.com has a history page that gives a lot of info on the spits, starting in 57.

I'm thinking your forks are not the original shrouds, as the spits were reputed to have short shrouds with gaitors? 

otherwise it looks like a very original specimen to me!!  the lack of a generator, no tool box, no guages, the pipes down low and partway along the swingarm, the chainguard, bash guard, half width hubs, wow!! nice bike!

only 287 CA7A's despatched that year!!
 *beer*

\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.05. 2009 22:42 »
Hello Snowbeard,

Many Thanks for your post. I am trying desperately to find out more about this bike, as you quite rightly said some things look original and others don't. I have requested that the powers that be at the BSAOC in the UK dig out all data they can reference the engine and frame numbers. Dpaddock unfortuneatly could not locate details from the BSA despatch records for this frame but does say his records are notoriously difficult to read as they are hand written. Watch this space as they say!

I have looked through the posts on the net and written to leespeedracing as well as drooled over the photos on Daniel Boss's pages, very nice indeed and something to work towards!

Other than that, all is good I have the tank in the photos away at a painter/finisher and this should be hopefully back within a week or two. Will post photos when its done and the bike finally gets back on the road.

All the best Mate
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK