Author Topic: moving is going to be a chore!  (Read 551 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
moving is going to be a chore!
« on: 02.03. 2017 13:36 »
Should be closing on a new house in less than 2 weeks. I'm not looking forward to the work of moving, though I'm looking forward to being in the new place. We're moving down to lower elevations, so I'll have a much longer riding season. With 15 acres, I can have my own short track. The existing shop (approx 16x28 feet) is smaller than my current one (28x36) but closer to the house, and there are several other buildings for storage. Moving is going to be a huge job. Pickup truck, 3 running cars, one non-running car, boat, camper, tractor, 15 bikes, shelves full of parts and supplies, toolboxes. Then there's all the stuff in the garage, shed, attic, and of course household stuff (you know, the less important things, like beds, cooking gear, etc.). First job will be fencing for the dogs, then some fixing up of the current home to ready for sale. I have a hunch I won't be working on bikes for a while, though I did install the regulator and speedo on the bsa the other day and corrected the fender mounting where I was was getting a little rub on the rear tire.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline scotty

• Valued Contributor
  • Deep Bay, Left Coast, Canada
Re: moving is going to be a chore!
« Reply #1 on: 02.03. 2017 14:19 »
I sympathize

I moved last summer after 23yrs on the same bit of rock
Imagine the crap I'd collected
To purge I only took what would fit into the rental truck
There's two BSA's in there somewhere 😬
Good luck with the move and enjoy your new digs
S
Good Advice
No reactions

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Red Flash
'54 B33
'98 HD FLHTPI
‘74 BMW R75-6

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.03. 2017 15:14 »
Jeff,

Your place sounds like a place where Mike and Frank might stop while just freestylin'. (I'll explain later, if necessary.)

I don't envy you the move. Still in Boise, I assume.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.03. 2017 17:37 »
Yeah I really need to face up to moving in the next year or two. Got that same pile of stuff problem that I guess we all have, plus somehow get around to building a bungalow on the garden so as to maximise my investment.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 02.03. 2017 19:55 »
my better half says if anything happens to me there will be a skip on the drive food for thought
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.03. 2017 20:19 »
my better half says if anything happens to me there will be a skip on the drive food for thought

Will you send me your address just before you go!
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 03.03. 2017 04:24 »
Jeff,

Your place sounds like a place where Mike and Frank might stop while just freestylin'. (I'll explain later, if necessary.)

I don't envy you the move. Still in Boise, I assume.

Richard L.
About 40 miles south of Boise (Mountain Home). Small town of about 14,000. Closer to good fishing and bird hunting. Still only 1/2 hour from Boise if I need or want to go there. I watch Pickers all the time!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 03.03. 2017 10:32 »
Yep, I'm dreading it. Come end of year we're planing the move to Lithgow (300Km's). 36 years of accumulation to move as well as 5 bikes, 2 cars, a trailer, 2 sheds of bits. Then there's the wife's stuff!!!
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 03.03. 2017 12:17 »
Nimrod ,I'll beat GB to it can i pass on a phone number of a " removal firm "very cheap !!
 *beer* *beer*
Musky ' hope you leave those bloody snakes there ,the thought of 'em still gives me the dreaded whatnotS !!

I moved 5 yrs ago so done that and now enjoying the garage. How come  the more room you have the more clutter and crap you acquire !! *conf2* *conf2* *bash*
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.03. 2017 12:21 »
Yep, I'm dreading it. Come end of year we're planing the move to Lithgow (300Km's). 36 years of accumulation to move as well as 5 bikes, 2 cars, a trailer, 2 sheds of bits. Then there's the wife's stuff!!!
Cheers
When we started to consider moving house a few years ago I had to sort out a shed of my stuff along with my decent sized garage. When I started to go through the shed I had a sudden realisation that at my age I was not ever going to use most of the stuff I'd accumulated over my lifetime. Things such as washing machine timers and water valves, old pram wheels, windscreen wiper motors; all items that I had thought might be useful at some stage. It was suprisingly liberating to take a lot of 'rubbish', (nothing BSAish) to the tip! Sadly I was not able to fit the super-duper workbench from my garage into my new man cave.  *sad2*
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 03.03. 2017 18:52 »
Couldn't agree with you more Greybeard. A lot in my shed is stuff that "might come in handy ". I'm not alone in this, but why do we keep the remains of blow ups that are only fit for scrap? All my mates seem to have bits of piston and bent con rods, stripped gears hanging around the shed, none of us can explain why........
Good Advice
No reactions
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline harvey mushman

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #11 on: 03.03. 2017 20:14 »
Couldn't agree with you more Greybeard. A lot in my shed is stuff that "might come in handy ". I'm not alone in this, but why do we keep the remains of blow ups that are only fit for scrap? All my mates seem to have bits of piston and bent con rods, stripped gears hanging around the shed, none of us can explain why........

A lot of that kind of stuff makes good wall art for the mancave, i have old pistons that will never be used again etc....
Good Advice
No reactions

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.03. 2017 22:10 »
Musky, Lithgow? There goes your winter riding. Summer won't be too flash either.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 04.03. 2017 19:46 »
G'day Trev. There's lots of good roads leading OUT of Lithgow! I like the cold but will be wary of the black ice.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline TT John

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #14 on: 05.03. 2017 18:56 »

That will be novel, Most people get buried or cremated *eek* *eek*
Good Advice
No reactions