Author Topic: Introduction!  (Read 2236 times)

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
Introduction!
« on: 09.03. 2017 18:28 »
Hi all,

I am reluctantly due to take on my Grandads '59 (or '60) A7 in the next few months, I say reluctantly only because he doesn't feel able to ride it any more - that having been said I'm honoured he wants me to have it, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the world of classic bikes and all the ups and downs it entails. I'm lucky to have him for help and guidance with maintaining it, but inevitably there will be some things he won't be able to help with (e.g. buying stuff off the internet etc).

It's all original(ish) and, being a farmer, he's always maintained it mechanically so hopefully I won't uncover anything terrible - I'm ok with tools but having only ridden modern Japanese bikes I'm not accustomed to having to fix anything significant.

So, this is my roundabout way of introducing myself to the forum, and hopefully I won't have to post too often as everything will run perfectly, but in the very likely event I need some support I look forward to getting to know you all.

One question I don't feel comfortable asking the old man - how fast can I ride it safely? I don't intend on letting rip but it's nice to know where the limit is. I will attach a terrible quality photo, from which you should be able to make out a motorcycle shape!

Thanks in advance,

Sam.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Introduction!
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2017 18:57 »
G'day Sam  *welcome*. Thanks for the intro.
You lucky bugga, 1 for being given the bike and 2 for still having the old fella to give you guidance.
There's no such thing as a silly question, but the answer to your 1st one is. Well tuned she should do 90mph flat out but take a mile to stop. Mine will sit on 60-70mph all day. Just remember this is a 57 year old motorcycle so treat it with the respect it deserves. Are you planning on restoring or just riding?
1st  *????* to grandad is if she's ever had the bottom end serviced.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.03. 2017 00:59 »
 Hello Sam,

You are going to have fun.

And I personally think that is one of the best colors BSA ever had.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.03. 2017 09:47 »
 *welcome*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 10.03. 2017 10:28 »
G'day Sam  *welcome*. Thanks for the intro.
You lucky bugga, 1 for being given the bike and 2 for still having the old fella to give you guidance.
There's no such thing as a silly question, but the answer to your 1st one is. Well tuned she should do 90mph flat out but take a mile to stop. Mine will sit on 60-70mph all day. Just remember this is a 57 year old motorcycle so treat it with the respect it deserves. Are you planning on restoring or just riding?
1st  *????* to grandad is if she's ever had the bottom end serviced.
Cheers

Yes I am very fortunate on both counts.

Thanks for the clarification on speed, I will stick to 50 for the time being until I get to know the bike a bit better and get used to drum brakes  *eek*. I have no intention of racing around everywhere, just wanted to be sure that 50/60 wasn't pushing it too far, for example.

Bottom end hasn't been serviced - sounds that this may be a wise thing to get done (by a professional?).

With regards to restoring or riding, that's a difficult question to answer - my plan is to restore on an ad-hoc basis (i.e. when things break). I intend to get little things done like get the wheels re-chromed and generally just look after her to get her looking her best. In terms of engine components etc I'm not sure my budget, time, or wife's patience will stretch to a full restoration! Would welcome your thoughts on this.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.03. 2017 10:54 »
Maybe ask yr old fella if it has standard gearing before pushing it too fast ? (it probably has but it might be worth an ask).

Many newbies find the way these bikes rev at modern cruising speed (eg 60mph plus) disconcerting, but it does not seem to harm them, unlike japanese bikes many old Brits were designed to be capable of over revving in top gear, in normal conditions, as opposed to most japanese bikes hitting max revs down hill with following wind etc
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.03. 2017 12:25 »
Lynn,

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to limit yourself to technical questions. We talk about all kinds of things here when we think other members might be interested or just amused. Usually it's about our bikes, but not always. That's why we have a topic called "Chat, Off-topic and Diverse".

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.03. 2017 12:28 »
For example, a picture of you grandad on the bike would be inspiring.

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #8 on: 10.03. 2017 17:52 »
Thanks for the story, welcome.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #9 on: 11.03. 2017 03:00 »
Being a family heirloom, I wouldn't be restoring it, just using it and maintaining it as necessary.
A bottom end strip is fairly straightforward if you have a shed, main thing is the sludge traps typically need a good clean which needs the cases apart.
Another thing to keep in mind that whereas with your modern you might be thinking about fuel and coffee stops, on an old bike for a long trip you're thinking about what might go wrong... These bikes open up a whole new riding and skill paradym. Nice to have a youngster taking on one of these old shitters. They are worth the effort; I now own 3 of them, love em to bits.
A good prerequisite might be to read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, tells you nothing about a10's but does prepare you for the mindset...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 11.03. 2017 06:45 »
Welcome aboard LL Sam. We are a friendly bunch who have a shed full of these beautiful PITA motorcycles  *smile* IMHO get it on the road and ride it.  *smiley4* 2 things to be aware of, sludge traps (oil filter) and 30 year old tyres. BTW, we love photos!  *eek*
cheers TC Peter
59 Super Rocket 

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 11.03. 2017 07:42 »
Thanks to all of you for the friendly welcome and advice. I will get some more photos once I've got her home and tidied up a little bit.

I'll also find out more about the bikes history from the old fella - I know he bought this as a replacement for his original A7, which went under a tram (with him on it) on the Wisbech to Upwell tram line, which was the inspiration for Rev'd Audrys The Railway Series aka Thomas the Tank Engine (Audry was vicar at Emmeth church at the time, which was a stop on the tram line). Old man went straight over a crossing with no barriers only to be met side on by a tram carrying fruit and veg to market in Wisbech - by all accounts he should've been killed but by some miraculous quirk of fate he ended up being pushed along under the tram wedged between the bike and the tram front. Needless to say the bike was completely ruined but Grandad got up and walked away with a few scratches. After that he bought a triumph (not sure which one) which he liked but said it was never as good as his A7, so he went out and bought this old girl which will shortly be entering a new chapter in the family history. Hopefully it doesn't go the same way as his original *eek*!

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 11.03. 2017 09:25 »
tram vs a7 - that's a fair contest. but when one's full of lettuces that's just not cricket.
Bottom end hasn't been serviced - sounds that this may be a wise thing to get done (by a professional?).
unless you've got large pots of money - tram-fulls of it - its time to tool up with some whitworth spanners and get your hands dirty. i never realized how owning a BSA was to become a life-changing experience, generally for the better tho somewhat poorer. as one recently initiated to these ancient ways, also search the forum threads on oils, spanners, thread sizes (who knew about that?). get the bottom end sorted and all running well before worrying about the chrome (you may not have any $$ left by then).

welcome aboard!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 11.03. 2017 12:51 »
Would ask granddad what kind of oil he's been using over the years. Many on this forum are far more knowledgeable about these bikes than I, but my thinking is if he's been using detergent oils for the last 30-40 years, bottom end may not need a stripdown. Comments?

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #14 on: 11.03. 2017 22:29 »
back in my university days I destroyed two triumph (tigress) bottom ends before I discovered the importance of removing and flushing sludge traps on an engine that has uncertainty around the state of said sludge trap. A sludge trap is a very quick way to make an engine shit itself. Unless a bikes been in routine use and the previous lubricants are known and consistently used, then a quick flush of the sludge traps along with fitting some fresh shells and quick measure of the timing bush provides a lot of comfort and excepting the learning curve involved and the space to take it apart is comparatively easy and not typically expensive. But unlike a modern is typically addressed with a DIY approach. Perhaps consider joining you local BSAOC or vintage bike club and ask for help.
Most of here have learnt the hard way, MikeB joined a club and now provides the counselling  ;)
You will learn a new language , develop skills you never knew you wanted  *whistle* and talk to strangers on the other side of the world
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand