Author Topic: Machine Tools  (Read 1266 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Machine Tools
« on: 12.03. 2017 23:24 »
Hi all,

I have wanted to own a lathe ever since my dad had one in his shop when I was a teenager. I am regretting and kicking myself that I did not know that my mom would clear out his shop in the garage (2000 miles away) when he passed. I would still love to own one, along with a vertical mill, but I'm not likely to do it because of my limited need, space and money. However, I have recently become addicted to looking at lathes for sale on eBay, just because I like seeing all the different makes and models in different conditions. Getting to my point, I bet there are other folks here who would like to see pictures of the machine tools owned by our members.

Regards,

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Machine Tools
« Reply #1 on: 13.03. 2017 21:34 »
Since you are asking it so nicely Richard, here's the lathe without which I wouldn't know how I would have managed a decent rebuild.
It's Chinese made, 300mm long, cost about €1000 including the cabinet but in spite of the abuse I regularly throw at it, it keeps on going...
Next thing on my wish list is a mill and a small hydraulic press.
Can't wait 'till Christmas  *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 13.03. 2017 22:28 »
Going from the sublime(-ish) to the ridiculous, here's my ancient Seneca Falls. Coupla 'undred bucks worth and I wouldn't live without it!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.03. 2017 22:52 »
Great stuff. Keep 'em coming.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 14.03. 2017 09:27 »
Hello Richard - thanks for asking...

Many years ago I benefited from the sort of clear out your mother had.  A few doors down the road from us the wife of a neighbour was clearing out her late husband's shed.  For £200 I became the owner of a Myford ML7, 3 1/2 inch engineers lathe.  There was not much tooling but I've added one or two items over the years, either bought, gifted or scrounged.  Pictures below...

The ML7 I have has 3 really good features - a gap bed, a lead screw and a screw-cutting gearbox.

For Morris - also many years ago the factory in which I worked threw a laboratory 10-ton press into the rubbish skip.  I made sure it didn't stay there long!  Over the years it has been a great help with wheel bearing replacements.  And, of course, I've had the lathe that makes it possible to turn up necessary spacers and pressure plates.

The only other machine in my armoury is a Chinese copy pillar drill.  Not too high-tolerance but frequently used, all the same.

A vertical mill remains on my wish list.

Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.03. 2017 10:48 »

Morris' lathe, right side up.

Maybe something to do with different hemispheres, but Morris' pic worked ok for me but sorry Richard, I fell on my head looking at your rendition of his.
 Having said that, when I saw both on the phone at work, I could make neither head nor tail of either *countdown*

Morris; 300mm ? is that overall, or the bed size ?

I have a couple of tools that I've used but don't have access to pics just now, but one is my youngstas drill-press (I guess that's the same as a 'pillar drill' ? ) I had to machine a flat face on a weld on my Guttzi tranny, and used a busted 1/2" drill bit ground square end as a milling bit; worked a treat once I got the cutting edge right
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 14.03. 2017 11:14 »
Morris' lathe, right side up.

Edited first post image. Should be ok now.

Morris; 300mm ? is that overall, or the bed size ?

Bed size (between centers)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.03. 2017 11:30 »
Many years ago I benefited from the sort of clear out your mother had.  A few doors down the road from us the wife of a neighbour was clearing out her late husband's shed.  For £200 I became the owner of a Myford ML7, 3 1/2 inch engineers lathe.  There was not much tooling but I've added one or two items over the years, either bought, gifted or scrounged. 

Terryg,

Very nice. My dad's lathe was about that size but a much lesser brand and in pretty bad shape (as far as I knew at the time), but yours looks great.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 14.03. 2017 11:55 »

I forgot to say that Jachos lathe is a more professional looking version of the home made one I garnered some years ago and still isn't powered, but I'm suitably impressed with it- envious in fact *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.03. 2017 15:24 »
...For £200 I became the owner of a Myford ML7, 3 1/2 inch engineers lathe. 

Jammy git!

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #10 on: 15.03. 2017 03:45 »
I couldnt imagine not having a lathe or mill but owning them is not cheap. The trouble is the more experienced you get at using them the more accesories you need and then you need better quality tools to go with them, etc etc, its a endless spiral.

I bought my first one, a Myford ML7 about 30 years ago and at first it was great and taught me a lot but after awhile I found it wasnt big enough and didnt have enough features, mine didnt have a gearbox. So then I bought my current lathe, I've had this one about 25 years and its been a great lathe and I intend to keep it as its capable of doing 99% of the work I want to do.

I was lucky in that I have a friend who is a toolmaker and he taught me the basics of screw cutting and dealing with difficult materials. Learning about the different metals and their properties is a lot harder than learning to use a lathe.

I bought the mill about 5 years ago and then set about teaching myself how to use it, another learning curve. Once again I dont know how I survived so long without one.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.03. 2017 04:19 »
Thanks for posting the pics, Brian. I hope others are enjoying seeing the machine tools as much as I am. For example, for all.my browsing eBay, I'd never seen an Herless lathe and it looks like a good one.

I'm looking forward to seeing more. John?

Richard L.

I'

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #12 on: 15.03. 2017 05:36 »
"I was lucky in that I have a friend who is a toolmaker and he taught me the basics of screw cutting and dealing with difficult materials." (Brian)

I worked in a very specific part of the electronics industry, making vacuum tubes, or high power microwave amplifier components. These devices rely on many special metals, alloys and other materials for their construction and function, including working to very high tolerances. In the toolroom you would find tungsten, molybdenum, kovar, inconel, boron nitride, alumina etc and guys with many years experience of machining them. Working alongside them was a good education.
My training as a chemist helped too.

Apologies for a bit of thread drift but Brian is right, in that buying a machine is just the start.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.03. 2017 06:00 »
My 1940's maybe older little Southbend lathe, I could not have built my bike up without it. It can cut imperial threads  *smile*

A little Southbend like this Ive been told is a close copy of a myford 7.

Edit: Actually it was the 9" southbend that was copied, but not by myford......

Also my ancient pillar drill (sorry bout the rubbish surroundIng it) and also my old style TIG welder which one day hopefully will actually do TIG as at the moment it does not have a foot pedal so that remains a goal (its a great stick welder in the meantime).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 15.03. 2017 06:24 »
Huh! my old pillar drill is virtually identical to yours Kiwi, what a coincidence.
Next: Here's one for you lads to I.D. What is it? but what do I use it for?

(Richard you really started something good here eh?
Goodonya, -Jools)