Author Topic: Problem solving  (Read 772 times)

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
Problem solving
« on: 15.03. 2017 19:19 »
Getting to grips with the nitty gritty now, so decided to check carb setting, as the tick over  is a bit fast for comfort.  First check was cable routing which could be a little more natural, but it's not affecting slide position as it is.  Next check was choke slide which is well out of the way, so ok. Slide stop next - slide found to be off the stop, so unable to slow engine using that.  Finally, pilot screw. This was only 1/2 a turn out, so set it to one and a half turns out, but still not really satisfactory, so I removed carb to check for crap and blockages, and to check jet sizes, which were all as standard.
Replaced carb, but still running too fast off slide stop.
As all seems ok in the carb, I'm now wondering if I've set the ignition timing a bit out.
'59 GF

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Problem solving
« Reply #1 on: 15.03. 2017 19:41 »
Sounds like you need to adjust the throttle cable length to allow the slide to rest on the stop and then adjust the stop to set a suitable idling speed.

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 15.03. 2017 20:11 »
I've adjusted cable length as you suggest, but even with the slide sitting as low as it'll go in the carb body, with the stop wound right down, the engine is still ticking over too fast for comfort.
'59 GF

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.03. 2017 20:12 »
Is the slide too sloppy in the body and letting air around it?

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 15.03. 2017 20:18 »
I noticed a bit of wear on the slide, so it could be, or contribute to the problem.  I'll do a thorough check tomorrow  *thanks*
'59 GF

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 16.03. 2017 08:55 »
Get a trigger pack & some bulk WD 40 or similar ( do not use pressure packs unless you need an eyebrow trim ).
With the engine running flood the manifold area with WD 40 then come back to the carb flange then finally the top of the mixing chamber.
If you get clouds of smoke then you have an air leak making the engine run lean & fast.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 16.03. 2017 09:15 »
Good tip - thank you *wink2*
By an amazing stroke of luck I have a brand new slide for the 376 carb, albeit a with a no.3 cutaway, so I fitted that and obtained an immediate improvement whereby the tick over can now be adjusted. Thanks to one and all for pointing me in that direction *respect*
'59 GF