Author Topic: Gearbox questions  (Read 1672 times)

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
Gearbox questions
« on: 01.06. 2009 09:44 »
Hi all,

The other day I saw on EBay a gearbox for an A7.  In the wordage it said it was fitted with a "Goldstar Kickstart Quadrant" and I was wondering what this meant?

Also can you change a gearbox on an A7 without taking the engine out?

Cheers

Z

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Gearbox questions
« Reply #1 on: 01.06. 2009 11:24 »
Ah, one of the rare gearboxes with a genuine Goldstar kickstar quadrant. The same box should also have ported and polished screws with twin overhead clutch levers. This particular box was probably the one fitted to the very bike that broke the world speed record in 1950 with both tyres flat...................get the idea !!!!!!

You can get a gearbox out of a plunger without taking the engine out but its easier to take the engine out as you have to remove all the bolts anyway. You can remove the internals of the gearbox with it all in the bike, depends on what you need to do to the box.

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 01.06. 2009 11:38 »
Thanks Brian,

The Goldstar kickstart quadrant is a red herring then.

I have another gearbox for the A7 which I want to put in.  Should have mentioned its a swinging arm A7!  Will I be able to put it in without removing the engine?

Cheers

Z

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 01.06. 2009 11:57 »
When I built my RGS replca I found that with rearsets and drop bars the kickstart lever dug in my shin.You can move the quadrant round on the spline on the shaft but its still not right and you cant get a proper swing on it.
  So I purchased a goldstar kickstart quadrant from Lyfords so the lever rests  in the correct position and it all works properly.
  With standard footrests you need the  k/start is at approx 11 o'clock ,with r/sets you need it at about 1 o'clock
  You see a lot of Goldie and RGS replicas with k/starts at funny angles , I assume because they dont have this correct item.
MIke

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 01.06. 2009 12:10 »
I dont know why I assumed it was a plunger. Must be getting old, either that or I am going to have to give up drinking.

Being a swingarm you can get the gearbox out without removing the engine. And Mike is right, being a s/arm box it could have the quadrant that repositions the kickstart.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 01.06. 2009 12:20 »
When I first got my A10 it had a different kickstart quadrant which moved the kickstard forward to about 1 o'clock. This meant it didnt get in wayof your leg with rearsets.
Just noticed MikeN beat me to the punch whilst I was scanning this picture.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 01.06. 2009 12:29 »
Thanks for that guys.

I never really thought about a quadrant that repositioned the kickstart.  You live and learn.

I am glad to hear you can change the box without removing the engine!

Tombeau,  If you painted those garage doors green that could be the view outside my garage!

Ta

Z

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 02.06. 2009 01:24 »
And by the way, the quadrant is not a Gold Star specific item .
The quadrant is a forging and all of them start life as the same forged blank.
The difference is where the slot for the cotter pin is machined.
I am not going to wade through hundreds of parts books to find it but I rather think that the "Gold Star" quadrant is the rigid pre war one used on everything prior to the "jelly bean" gearbox and the M20's till the end.

As for replacing the box with the engine in situ it can be done but you have to take both top mounting plates off and it will be a lot easier to pull out with out the carby there.
Bike Beesa
Trevor