Author Topic: Unusually nice for March in Chicago  (Read 428 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Unusually nice for March in Chicago
« on: 24.03. 2017 20:35 »
What a miracle of a great day. 79 deg F in Chicagoland. Had to get out in it. First stop, big'ol  tool store for #78 drills for pilot jet. Now, I must confess, stopped for one weak beer and some tacos on the way home.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Unusually nice for March in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: 25.03. 2017 09:04 »
Lovely coloured bike, you Americans love your high bars!
Good Advice
No reactions
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.03. 2017 18:48 »

KiwiGF

You got me thinking about why high bars would be favored over here. Could it be that we've seen too many western movies and we think we're cowboys on horses? (For those paying attention, that's two horse references in my last two posts.) Could it be that roads over here are in better shape (not saying they are) and, therefore, there is less vertical compression of one's back happening, versus being bent over? Could it be that café racing set the style in the UK and plays less over here (since the Revolution) than in other former colonies? Is there already a definitive answer to this and I am unnecessarily spewing? (OK, I am, but has this already been studied?)

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 25.03. 2017 20:01 »
Lucky bugga. It's been raining here for a month! Looks like I'll get out today.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.03. 2017 20:23 »
35 deg F colder today, and raining.

Cheers, I guess.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 25.03. 2017 20:30 »
You got me thinking about why high bars would be favored over here. Could it be that we've seen too many western movies and we think we're cowboys on horses?

I'd be tempted to point the finger at Peter Fonda for being accountable.
OTH, Marlon Brando already had them in '53.
If this issue hasn't been studied yet, then this may be a great time to start a survey?
Sorry to hijack your post Richard but I assume you're as curious as I am to find out?
BTW we have our share of fair weather to, only drawback is that I've spent the week on the couch with a flu...  *problem*
Hoping to be able to make a little outing tomorrow.
Good Advice
No reactions
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.03. 2017 20:35 »
Hi All,
It was a really beautiful warm Spring day here in the South of Ireland today  *smile*
I spent most of the day outside in a tee shirt
Early in the week we had a fall of snow and it was skinning cold  *eek*

John
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 26.03. 2017 02:14 »

KiwiGF

You got me thinking about why high bars would be favored over here. Could it be that we've seen too many western movies and we think we're cowboys on horses? (For those paying attention, that's two horse references in my last two posts.) Could it be that roads over here are in better shape (not saying they are) and, therefore, there is less vertical compression of one's back happening, versus being bent over? Could it be that café racing set the style in the UK and plays less over here (since the Revolution) than in other former colonies? Is there already a definitive answer to this and I am unnecessarily spewing? (OK, I am, but has this already been studied?)

Richard L.

Hi Richard, I first came across the high bars on my 75 Export spec 750cc Bonneville (T140v). This back in 1977 or so. A bike really made for the USA, as for the UK the higher bars made long distance cruising painful at 70mph eg on UK motorways. I've always thought the lower national speed limit in the USA was a factor in them being more popular there, that and the fact Harley's tended to have higher bars so Triumph felt do should they, and there was the chopper movement of course, which was bigger in the US than UK.

The T140v I had also came with a very small tank compared to the UK spec models, on uk motorways I had to stop every other service station, as it was not certain I could reach a third! A safe range was something like 80miles from memory, the "peanut" tank also had its roots in the Harley and chopper look?

The later A series bikes also had smaller tanks in the US, from pics I've seen on this forum, and also of course higher bars ....which I'm assuming were factory fitments.
Good Advice
No reactions
New Zealand

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.03. 2017 05:07 »
I have the 2-1/2 gallon tank and figure 80 miles (not "moles") is about it, but I don't wait that long.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 26.03. 2017 07:51 »
Oooh yeh but that cute little tank is like a 17 year old natural blonde eh?  *dribble*
Good Advice
No reactions

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #10 on: 26.03. 2017 09:22 »
Oooh yeh but that cute little tank is like a 17 year old natural blonde eh?  *dribble*

Right. Both very impractical in use...
Good Advice
No reactions
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online KiwiGF

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 26.03. 2017 12:09 »

After years of "market research" I can confirm there are no 17 year old natural blondes......well not outside of Sweden anyway.
Good Advice
No reactions
New Zealand

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 27.03. 2017 07:36 »

After years of "market research" I can confirm there are no 17 year old natural blondes......well not outside of Sweden anyway.

virgin.....you forgot this important word *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 27.03. 2017 08:43 »
I am going to resist commenting on young blondes in case Big Brother is watching  ;)

Regarding high bars, I love the intermediate rise bars and have a pair on my A10 BUT they sweep back too much and can give me aching wrists. I would like to get a pair with the same rise but not swept back so much.

I use Renthal Enduro High bars (613) on my dirt bikes and these are perfect for me offering extra width and a very comfortable road cruising position. Not sure whether a set of silver aluminium bars would look "period" enough for the A10 so might take a pair in to the local m/c shop and see if I can find a chrome pair with a similar bend.

Brian

Good Advice
No reactions
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 27.03. 2017 10:30 »

I bought my bars from this mob, and another set for my Guzzi, but they stuffed half next order up, and then changed hands mid-transaction for a replacement set and it went to shit, but give 'em a go-  if you can get SS bars they are (at least were) really nice; I found the new owners arrogant and don't return calls though.....so try that other link lower down too (first)
    https://www.classicbritishmotorcycles.com/norton-commando-fastback-roadster-interstate-stainless-steel-handlebars-usa-style.html

These guys cost a bit more and didn't have what I need, but if you click on the product, it links to a page with measurements'n # numbers'n stuff;
    http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/controls-bars-levers/handle-bars.html?p=3
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia