Author Topic: Wanted: Photos of 1953 Flash SS700P/1 headlamp, underslung pilot  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Hello all,

Am trying to source a new Headlamp for my 1953 Golden Flash, has the underslung pilot light, with no ammeter or light switch, Part number is SS700P/1.

If you have any photos, particularly of the case, where the holes are etc it would be much appreciated, please email to Joshua_Cox1@westnet.com.au , high definition is preferred.

Similar to this one, but without the switch and ammeter ( I believe this one is the SSU700P/1 ) :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Headlight-7-7-inch-Lucas-Underslung-Triumph-Norton-BSA_W0QQitemZ250435249383QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3a4f1aa4e7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
Josh,
 If you can,I would advise you to try and find original parts if you can.Last year I purchased one of those cheap pattern headlamps (an 8" one) for my Ariel from an autojumble.
  By the time i had shot blasted the very poor paint off,lead filled the front of the shell so the rim fitted nicely,removed all the spinning marks from the shell, had the awful chrome re-done on the rim ,brazed up and re-filed the slot in the shell so the reflector sat horizontal,knocked out the dent in the little instrument panel and ftted a Lucas ammeter I wish i hadnt bothered (also wish I'd looked closer befor parting with my cash).
 Mike

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice.

I believe I have found a new item, just wanted to make sure the pictures line up for hole placement.

Thanks

Josh

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Josh, these shells have been dealt with previously. There were two types used with the cowl, underslung pilot for 1953-4 and no pilot 1955-7.
It has to have holes in the correct position for the speedo cable to pass through or you will have problems.
I am assuming you are going to use the cowl.
Trev.

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Hi Trez,

Have done a search, did not find the info I was after, photos of the unit are about all that will suffice.

Cheers

Josh

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Hey trev, my unit is original and the speedo cable hole is still a problem...are the pattern ones any worse?

Josh, if I take mine off anythime soon, I'll take some pics...but it may not be for a while.
Alex

Too many BSA's

G/F DAVE

Hi, Josh if look at page 4 of spares for sale & wanted on this forum I have a coupe of photos of a lamp I had for sale. G/F DAVE..

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Alex, the speedo cable should not be a problem on an original unit. My '55 Flash has one and the cable runs through the shell via a rubber sleeve and mates perfectly to the speedo.
When you fit the speedo cable, the shell needs to be slipped down along it , the cable screwed to the speedo and the shell then slipped back into place.
 Trev.

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Trev, I do have the cable going through the holes, but it doesn't line up very well.  As a result, the cable tends to push the speedometer out of its aging rubber grommet when I'm on the road.  I must confess, I haven't spent a whole lot of time on this problem since I've got bigger fish to fry, but it IS kind of annoying.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, that is the one.

Looks like I've found the right one, cheers.