Author Topic: A7 Found - Advice Required  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Andut

• Active
A7 Found - Advice Required
« on: 29.03. 2017 11:37 »
Hello all - I'll start by saying I'm not a BSA owner, and unlikely to be as I have a few more modern classic Hondas (sorry !) and no space for any more projects !

So why join the forum ?  Well, one of my neighbors found me over the weekend to seek my advice on her late husbands motorbike.  Unfortunately he passed away a year ago and she is now ready to free up space in her garage and sell on his old bike and associated parts, so she asked about the best way to sell it and if I might have any idea on it's value.

I don't know much about British bikes, but a quick look under covers inside the garage revealed a green Shooting Star that appears to be very much complete and in very good condition.  It has apparently been in the garage for over 10 yrs and was a runner when it was stored, but I have not attempted to kick it over, check for sparks etc.  It has a lot of paperwork going back to the original sales invoice, plenty of old MOTs up to the last one at either 34k or 43k miles (can't recall which !), V5 in his name and showing only 2 previous owners etc.  The garage appeared to be very dry and therefore the chrome looks in excellent condition with the only noticeable damage from my 5 minute inspection being a cracked tank badge on the n/s (badge only - the tank looked undamaged.

There is also quite a large collection of spares that I briefly looked at - spare exhaust downpipes and silencers, again in excellent condition, a spare gearbox that looked like new, seat covers etc etc - There is also a spare engine that I didn't see, but there was an invoice for it with the rest of the paperwork.

Clearly a few pictures would help, and we agreed that I will get some photos of all the parts and the bike in a week or so to catalogue what's there and start to think about where and how to sell it all, but in the meantime, I'd appreciate any thoughts on value , best place to sell etc.  I have obviously checked ebay, but that can be misleading !

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice !

Andy

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 Found - Advice Required
« Reply #1 on: 29.03. 2017 12:31 »
Andy,

Welcome to the forun, if only for  brief time. Are you sure you don't want to go British vintage? Seems like a great opportunity if you and the berieved neighbor can come to a fair price.

The bike and parts seem to be a great package in great shape. Pictures will tell a lot more. My first advice would be don't rush the sale as a motivated or uninformed seller. Obviously, you mean to be informed, becasue you've taken the trouble to join here.

Parts can take on a wide range of prices. If you want to see the prices at their highest, look for seller mb-transits. He's a breaker who isn't shy in trying to change the whole market in pricing. For example, he currently has a gearbox for sale for more than I paid for my original and near-complete barn-find A7 a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Richard L.

Offline Andut

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 29.03. 2017 12:51 »
Thanks for your welcome Richard,

Yes, it would be a great opportunity for me, but I'm afraid I already have too many toys and not enough space or time and besides, the old Brit bikes have the gear change on the wrong side !!!!!!  In all honesty, I would also feel a bit awkward in negotiating a price and probably end up paying well over the odds to make sure she was OK in the deal !

I'll take a look at the seller you mention to get an idea of upper limit prices, so thanks for that tip !

Andy

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.03. 2017 13:08 »
...old Brit bikes have the gear change on the wrong side !!!!!!

Excuse me! I think you'll find the gear changers on old Brit bikes are in exactly the right place !!!!!!  ;)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 29.03. 2017 13:12 »
andy ,welcome sorry to disagree in your first post but I think you'll find its mr Honda who out his gear change and brake pedals  *fight*   on the wrong side !  only joking I have one of his "classics " as well only takes a couple of runs     *pull hair out* to sort out your left from your right . seriously it's good of you to try to help and I'm sure you'll get the info you need from here, cheers Bob ps where are you based ?
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.03. 2017 13:33 »
I was wrong about the gearbox. It's no longer listed. Here is a link to a cylinder head so you can go to "See seller's other items." I'm not trying to advertise for him, even if this discussion seems to have that affect.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361929725234

Richard L

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 29.03. 2017 20:53 »
I was wrong about the gearbox. It's no longer listed. Here is a link to a cylinder head so you can go to "See seller's other items." I'm not trying to advertise for him, even if this discussion seems to have that affect.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361929725234

Richard L

And that alloy head has a dodgy part number stamped (or not) on it....from what I've read it should not have been messed with....and probably has been to hide the fact it's an A7 head....not A10.

Just my opinion I don't think the MB transits prices on eBay are much of a guide, they are generally much MUCH higher than anyone should pay.

As regards the selling price of the bike, a big factor is "how does it run" because if it doesn't it is a "project bike" and worth considerably less, the UK classic bike mag usually has realistically priced BSA's in the for sale section, so that could be a good guide, maybe you know someone with some back issues?

As a VERY tough guess for just the bike, 2000gbp as non runner 4000gpb as a road legal runner? (I'm assuming you are in the uk).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.03. 2017 22:31 »
Kiwi,

I certainly agree with you about MBs prices, but that gearbox, an "SC T", did sell for just over US$1,000, which was the price of my barn find. Granted, I may have gotten the last such deal on a near-complete A7.

Richard L.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.03. 2017 23:15 »
Kiwi,

I certainly agree with you about MBs prices, but that gearbox, an "SC T", did sell for just over US$1,000, which was the price of my barn find. Granted, I may have gotten the last such deal on a near-complete A7.

Richard L.

Hi Richard, I think $1000usd for the box is much more realistic than the alloy cyl head price! In nz the going price of a s/a std box of indeterminate condition is around 350nzd and one could expect to pay a lot more for one that might have been in a gold star......
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 29.03. 2017 23:22 »
Does it have to have been in a Gold Star? I have an Sc T in my '55 A10 and I think it is original.

Richard L.

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 29.03. 2017 23:37 »
Does it have to have been in a Gold Star? I have an Sc T in my '55 A10 and I think it is original.

Richard L.

SC T gearbox is for Scrambler and all with needle bearings expect the sleeve gear. Sleevegear with the neeldes are only the RRT2.
They are different to the STD boxes so there is no chance to mix the gear ratio.
I have two SC T gearboxes and they are brilliant. First gear is in between the the first of STD and RRT2

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.03. 2017 00:05 »

I've gotten accustomed to the STD 1st in my Plunger 'Rocket' as I think the overall standard gearing from crank to wheel has slightly longer legs than S/A models (mainly in the primary), but I'd like to have less of a gap betwen 2nd<->3rd, kinda how I interpret Beeza Bills, but that's not an easy chore.... *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #12 on: 30.03. 2017 08:24 »
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. Out of interest. where about in the UK are you?
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 30.03. 2017 08:28 »
Back to Andy's A7.
Without spending time and money - I agree with KiwiGF - you'd easily get £2k all day long (for a complete and nice condition bike).  To get a lot more or over £3k it would need to be re-commissioned - even if just serviced and cleaned out (fuel system etc).  That's where it could get tricky and time consuming for a non BSA guy (dynamo, Magneto cleaning, carb strip etc).
Sort out some photos and stick it on here first as a proper for sale ad?
Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Andut

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 30.03. 2017 09:25 »
Thanks all for your help and replies !

I will get some photo's of the bike and the parts in a week or so and post them on this thread.  I recognise the value would be greater for a running and MOT'ed bike, but for me it's a balance between helping a neighbour to get a fair price, and getting involved in a potentially time consuming project, when I already have a few of those on the go, daily job, family commitments etc - I'm sure you'll all recognise the problem !  I'm also acutely aware that it's not my bike, and I don't want to take over, or mess with someone's memories.

No doubt curiosity will get the better of me and I will end up checking for a spark, but if it has fuel in it, it will be +10yrs old, so unlikey it will fire, but who knows !

I'm based in the South East of England in Essex - you're a very worldwide group on here !!

Andy