Author Topic: Tickler/Primer plunger  (Read 1616 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Tickler/Primer plunger
« on: 01.04. 2017 10:41 »

So dis arvo while having a coolie, I decided to extend the top of my Tickler/Primer plunger, to dispense with the 'Amal Finger' syndrome....but in doing so was reminded that the excess travel before striking the float was about ~3mm...and on dissection, discovered a bit of copper tube jammed up in the primer/tickler plunger.
 A too easy fix *woo*; replace with a ~+3mm longer bit of brass tube that fortuitously I had on hand...and then add on a bit of plastic hose with a screw in top to finish the job....I think *????**beer*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tickler/Primer plunger
« Reply #1 on: 01.04. 2017 10:58 »
...'Amal Finger' syndrome...
Ooer Missus!  *shh*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.04. 2017 12:56 »

Nah was a reference to this;-

The BSA A7-A10 Forum »
    Bikes, Pictures, Stories & more »
    Chat, Offtopic, Relaxing & Diverse »
    Smell my finger..

The BSA A7-A10 Forum »
    Bikes, Pictures, Stories & more »
    Chat, Offtopic, Relaxing & Diverse »
    Smell my finger..

maybe try: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11419.msg86559#msg86559
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.04. 2017 13:10 »
Im sure you have thought of it Dutch.....but the tickler doubles as a vent for the bowl, so air leaves through the vent as petrol fills the bowl......an important job....and depending on where the tube is that you've added if might be covering the little vent hole?

A blocked vent hole caused me much grief (run then stop  *razz* *dunno* *bash*) until I worked out that's what had happened, a nz bug bug called "mason bee" had made its home up there  *problem* *pull hair out* *spider*

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_bee
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.04. 2017 17:25 »

So dis arvo while having a coolie, I decided to extend the top of my Tickler/Primer plunger, to dispense with the 'Amal Finger' syndrome..

I am either proud or embarrased to say I correctly guessed that "So dis arvo while having a coolie" meant "this afternnon while having a beer". Also, I think you went the right direction with "Amal finger" as opposed to "tickler finger". As GB notes,  "*shh*".

As for venting the float bowl, I get where KiwiGF is coming from, but can't reckon that, based on the tickler design on a concentric. There, I think there is no dedicated vent hole, but the button is no way sealed around the  button. That loose fit would seem to be enough to vent the bowl and I would guess the same for the carb in question. Am I wrong here?

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.04. 2017 19:32 »

yepyepyep'nyep on most counts I guess without counting....I did decline from 'stink-finger', and yep it can't be seen, but I drilled a 3/32" hole through the brass and the plastic tubes which align, and the SS set-screw I used is long enough to engage the original plunger so as to not push the plastic tube on further and prohibit travel- it only needs to move far enough to allow fuel to flow (and as we all know, fuel will flow through anything when we don't want it to). There's about 1-2mm freeplay/endfloat

Just to clarify, I replaced the copper tube with the +~3mm longer brass tube:
A too easy fix *woo*; replace with a ~+3mm longer bit of brass tube

Kiwi- I did remember that and kept it in mind, Richard- That also occurred to me, but not hard to drill a hole (pictured I think)
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 01.04. 2017 19:43 »
Well, I believe I've made the point in the past that I'm no expert on carburetors (or, maybe, anything). I just went out and took a look at my concentric and noticed a hole, apparently for venting, in the body of the carb where the tickler runs. Fine, but the gas overflow runs around the button, not out that hole.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 01.04. 2017 19:50 »

ah yeah...haven't been involved with Concentrics for a while, but had a feeling but forgot/didn't feel the need/too lazy to mention it........

......and noticed a hole, apparently for venting, in the body of the carb where the tickler runs.....
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.04. 2017 10:58 »
 ....so I still have a stinkyfinger from the seepy gas-cock anyway, and today I discovered a design fault in my hi-tech anti-stinko primer stick; leaving todays highly prized work effort, I gave it a tickle, but the return spring flung the missile into orbit and it landed down a gully-pit.... took a bit of a Squizzy Taylor to find it a foot and a half-metre down the drain...remedy; stuck a bit of copper wire through the vent hole, like a super-hi-tek split pin without a split;- exhibit  'a'...... *wink2*

and yup, the wire gauge is smaller than the hole so leaks a treat;

and
There, I think there is no dedicated vent hole, but the button is no way sealed around the  button. That loose fit would seem to be enough to vent the bowl and I would guess the same for the carb in question. Am I wrong here?

No Richard, you're dead right- leaks from anywhere  *smile*

Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.04. 2017 12:53 »
Dutch,

Is it actually possible to push the button rigged like that? Doesn't the plastic tube knock up against the nut?

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 04.04. 2017 13:52 »

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.04. 2017 20:10 »

I might chase one of those up, but not sure how to attach it   *smile* ...there's about 1mm of travel before the plunger engages the float, and ~2-3mm overall- more than enough
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 04.04. 2017 21:31 »
I'm sorry to say I think I know what you mean by not knowing how to attach it, nevertheless, did you open the link?

That, I think, is much less travel than required for the concentric.

Richard L.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 04.04. 2017 22:16 »
With the float extension on the A10 it takes 4 seconds to fill and overflow the fuel. So I just count for 3 seconds to almost fill the float bowl and no stinky finger. Works every time.  *good3*

ELLIS

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 04.04. 2017 22:32 »
What's the problem? Us greasy butch leather clad motorbikers are supposed to stink of oil and petrol. We aren't ponsy Mods on scooters!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash