Author Topic: Dynamo alternative  (Read 764 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Dynamo alternative
« on: 04.04. 2017 06:59 »
As the rest of the engine looks better and better , the dynamo looks worse and worse.  *sad2*
It will have to go.
As I am going over to 12v, is there a better alternative to the under performing / out dated dynamo ?
If there is, who sells it ?
Just found this, Would any of these do the job better ?
http://www.hawkshawmotorcycles.com/alternatorpics.html
Thanks.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Dynamo alternative
« Reply #1 on: 04.04. 2017 09:11 »
There are quite a few posts on this forum concerning the Alton - just put Alton in the search box and select entire forum to bring them up.

I considered one a while back but stuck to the E3L on 12 volts as it was and still is working fine.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.04. 2017 10:33 »

can't help, but just noticed this is in the fuel section- might need to move it ...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3 on: 18.04. 2017 07:08 »
The Lucas E3L isn't a bad dynamo. With a clean commutator and free-moving brushes it produces a pretty reasonable output. If you ensure that you have decent earthing - a separate earth wire from your lights to the battery - the lighting is perfectly adequate for night riding. The one mod I have made is to use an LED stop/tail light. It stops any headlight dimming as you slow and brake for a corner.
Check out your dynamo. It's a lot cheaper than going the Alton route.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep