Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 486 times)

Offline ralph

• Moving Up
Introduction
« on: 07.04. 2017 18:01 »
Hi all, it's not uncommon for me to get things idiot roads about, so having already had the benefit of your advice and conversation – here's my introduction.

I remember at about 15 (I'm 63 now) being captivated by that engine. A decade later on arun to blackpool I was a pillion in the right place at the right time as an overtaking a road rocket threw its drive side rod. Very little noise and just a puff of smoke. The rider said he got no warning.
Finances were to allow me my own purchase of a 61 A7 about 30 yrs ago. It was rough and in boxes and a wheelbarrow. So rough I sold good bits of the engine, collected parts and built an A10. It's done well, never had to set the tappets, no smoke (after the pistons and rings had bedded in) – its been good. The head needs an overhaul re the valve seats as it doesnt bound up hill like it used to.
I sent SRM the bottom half and what cash I had at the time – that's why I chrome plated and powder coated it green. It was a good choice though as the work on the engine was worthy of mention, as is Ian in the stores who dealt with me at the time – he knew his stuff. Ee I could go on and on, but Ill let it come out naturally as I try to aid others, or seek it for myself.
Re the ignition (KiwiGF) I remember finding it in a breakers shop, and is so long the extended mag bolt is still needed – or would be. It had a lucas twin point baseeplate, but cant remember what I took off the drive end. It was fitted with four screws whatever it was, and amazingly the pcd matched the rivet holes in the tufnol auto advance pinion – as did the centre boss!!
On the mag type triangular flange it is stamped HM made in england 22. So if anybody could say what its off? Its well made, and neither Kirby Rowbotham or Ernie Bransden could throw any light. It now runs BB's low resistance electronic coil setup, with a twin output one off a fiat punto.
Iron head A10, Panther 120, BMW RS100, Norton 500T special,

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 07.04. 2017 18:45 »
Thanks for the intro, hoping you're enjoying the forum.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline ralph

• Moving Up
Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: 08.04. 2017 08:40 »
Thanks for the intro, hoping you're enjoying the forum.

Thanks indeed for the welcome. The forum has a good vibe about it. I'm amazed at the number of offers to help those with questions. It was pure accident I came across it.
Iron head A10, Panther 120, BMW RS100, Norton 500T special,