Author Topic: Outer Primary Chain cover  (Read 2033 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Outer Primary Chain cover
« Reply #15 on: 10.04. 2017 19:55 »

Clutch cover looks a bit distorted, like maybe the spring adjuster nuts have been loose at some stage and deformed it- just guessin' ...how does it look on the inside ??

Try leaving it off (clutch cover), and see if that makes a difference. I run mine without it and no probs
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 10.04. 2017 20:41 »
Hi,
I mean of course the clutch cover case not the outer casing

That makes a little more sense *ex*
That the dome cover will not fit over the assembled clutch *????*
BSA used this type cover on a few different models M20's and some pre war models
From memory the plunger cover looks deeper??

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
  • HOW IT ARRIVED ON DAY ONE
« Reply #17 on: 10.04. 2017 20:59 »
Hi Dutch and John,

Never figured for one second that the cover could be left off.

Yes it is all scored on the inside when three of the clutch studs when I initially stripped it down had been stripped clean of the screwdriver thread top.

I have of course replaced the whole lot with new parts.

I will put it back together tomorrow afternoon and see how I get on.

With hindsight and looking back on the rebuild I wished I had sourced another engine, but I have enjoyed the rebuild and I have learned more than I had ever learned just tinkering with bikes.  *smile*

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 11.04. 2017 00:42 »

OK that's interesting, maybe as John says it may be the wrong cover.
 How many clutch plates are in there? - maybe it's too fat, the parts book says five friction plates but I only use four because the nuts didn't screw on enough and kept undoing, and that could also contribute to your issue   *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 11.04. 2017 08:47 »

G'day maaate- haven't heard from you in a while, but I don't live here so no surprise *smile*

For sure, I probably live here too much, much to the affect of making people crazy but, c'mon Dutch, if you're not living here it is, at least, a well-used vacation home.

Richard L.

I'm not sure that any of us actually exists when we are not here.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 11.04. 2017 14:51 »
5 came out and I had the 5 back in with the clutch working ok just had the issue with the case.

If we don't exist how come I keep getting nagged by my Mrs!!

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #21 on: 11.04. 2017 15:29 »
It's your wifes superpower !  *conf2*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 16.04. 2017 07:18 »
Cheers Gents,

all sorted, left the cover off, clutch and all the working parts turning over nicely.

*smile*

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 16.04. 2017 10:52 »

Good to hear, but be worth keeping an eye on the adjustment with those five friction plates, as I may have said I had issues with the adjuster nuts backing off (It'll drag and slip, and you'll hear them gouging the actual outer casing, as the topic suggests)...after I dumped one out, it's generally behaving, and each time I have it open, I rotate the spare plate in/one out (just so I have five evenly worn and not four worn and one new one )

Maybe you should also consider changing the topic to something more specific like " plunger Clutch cover" ?
Australia

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 16.04. 2017 12:52 »
Very good point Dutch, I will keep in mind.

Also good point about the title, just tried to change but could not figure out how to edit it, any idea?

Regards

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 17.04. 2017 22:46 »
 Another thing to keep in mind is that by leaving the cover off doesn't fix it, just removes the symptom but not the cause *eek*..

Also good point about the title, just tried to change but could not figure out how to edit it, any idea?

Dunno- only thing I can think of is the 'modify' option top right corner (of your posts) , otherwise *dunno*

Australia