Author Topic: The perils of wanted ads  (Read 364 times)

Online spanersc

• A's Best Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
The perils of wanted ads
« on: 11.04. 2017 21:11 »
Recently I have placed wanted ads on this forum and in UK classic motorcycle magazines, all the replies that I have received have been from scammers trying to get me to pay for something that I'm not going to get. I find it worrying that they are obviously watching the classic bike scene for possible openings. Have other users had similar? The last persistent lowlife was someone using the email address of   'donaldwilliams962@gmail.com'    he has given his address (for payment) as  'Am Riegelpfad  935325  Mucke  Germany' and the account holders name as    'Juliane Dorothea Kientz'     However, I think this originates in Nigeria.  I thought it worthwhile giving his details to forewarn other users in case he attempts to scam another of us. All the best. Peter
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1937 B24 Empire-Star, 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.  1953 A7ST.  1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS.  1955 A10.  1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Online Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
Re: The perils of wanted ads
« Reply #1 on: 11.04. 2017 21:40 »
Hello, unless you post your email address, tel etc in a post (neither recommended nor permitted), nobody except members can contact you, as profile and personal info is not available if not logged in, + members with few posts (called 'New') does not have permission to see profiles. So neither guests readers nor goggle etc got access to emails or personal info.

So unless some active member here is the source then it's highly unlikely any problems arise from this forum.

If anyone thinks there's some leak somewhere here, please send a PM with info and I'll look into it. Keeping the forum and members secure has very high priority.

Thanks
e.

btw, take a look here > http://www.419eater.com :O)
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #2 on: 12.04. 2017 09:40 »
My experience is similar after posting a 'wanted' ad in the classified section of a car club website.
To my surprise Google bots picked up the ad and broadcast it worldwide in response to a range of search strings.
Although I hadn't considered scams it quickly became clear, in the pattern of many responses I received, that a large number of individuals looked forward to parting me from my cash fraudulently.
My approach has been to seek verification of responder identity through my own contacts, and also look for mutually protective means to reach a deal.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 12.04. 2017 19:51 »
i always reply i hope the hairs on your idiot turn into drumsticks and beat your balls in

Online spanersc

• A's Best Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
« Reply #4 on: 12.04. 2017 20:14 »
I didn't want to suggest that the scam originated from the Forum, I suspect it was from one of the monthly mags. I just wanted to let our members know that the scumbags are obviously watching the classic motorcycle fraternity for any possible scam opportunities, Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Regards, Peter
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1937 B24 Empire-Star, 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.  1953 A7ST.  1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS.  1955 A10.  1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 12.04. 2017 23:31 »
Yes, I think the magazines are what they use. Because I am the Treasurer of our club I am listed along with our president, Ashley - I got an email from Ashley's exact email address asking to pay $2,000 to an account. We had been talking about making some payments online because some suppliers refuse cheques nowadays. It sounded just like Ashley. I asked what it was for, though. The reply was "for maintenance". I immediately smelt a rat and rang Ashley. He said it wasn't from him. The spammer gave an account number and name. All you can do here is forward it to an email address in the Dept of Internal Affairs. I did this but never got any feedback.
Another funny comeback is to ask the fake parts supplier if they can sell you a fuel pump for your BSA. They will mostly answer "yes".

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 13.04. 2017 10:25 »
It always strikes me that if these lowlifes  put as much effort into a legitimate job as they do trying to scam people out of there hard earned cash  they would probably be millionaires instead of just the scum they are !! *angry* *angry* ps that doesn't mean that millionaires can't be scumbags as well just look at the pillock who sold BHS for confirmation !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 13.04. 2017 11:34 »

I didn't want to suggest that the scam originated from the Forum

Pete, I never thought for a second you were doing other than making us aware of the possibilities of these scumbags....there's scumbags, and there's mill/gazill-ionaires, and there's scumbag mill/gazill-ionaires....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia