Author Topic: Suggestions for making the primary case oil tight  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Suggestions for making the primary case oil tight
« Reply #15 on: 20.04. 2017 11:31 »
...an annoying oil leak from the primary case...

It's likely that if Allen screws have been used they will have been overtightened which is likely to distort the case and pull up the land around the threaded holes. BSA designed these cases to be sealed by no more force than can be applied by a screwdriver. There is really very little pressure in the cases; it should be easy enough to get a seal. As already described run a fine file across opposite sides of the case mating surfaces at the same time, (to ensure accuracy). On my Plunger model after thorough cleaning I use Blue Hylomar on one side of the gasket only and do not have leaks. I'm using ATF fluid in the primary case.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 20.04. 2017 13:22 »
One tip I have not seen mentioned, is from an old issue of "Twitter" (GSOC news letter) from the '70s.  I personally tried this on my RGS primary which was warped, producing a 1/8" gap.
First remove any high spots and clean the threads.  Next, bolt the inner and outer cover together at approx. 25 ft. lbs.  Place in an oven preheated to 400 degrees.  Heat for about an hour and let cool.  The gap disappeared. 

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 21.04. 2017 08:13 »

Hey Richard (Orabanda), is that like this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Genuine-New-Motorcycle-Parts-Jog-Crankcase-Breather-583-15371-00-/282437249232?hash=item41c29268d0:g:1ZQAAOSw2gxYyjxw&vxp=mtr

Called up the local Yaya dealer, and ordered the microscopic part, but it has a superseded number #3YJ-15371-00, instead of '#583-15371-00'  (just for information); au$4 buck smackerooos- can't argue with that but should've ordered one for the box too... *dunno*

I drill into the back of the inner cover, just above the nut which secures the kick starter stop

Good spot- never thought of that (obviously)

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia