Author Topic: Final drive alignment- Plunger/ Rigid Curious thing  (Read 628 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

For Plunger and Rigid application ONLY, but feel free to chuck in two bob......

A while ago when playing clutch, I did a rear wheel alignment check...and being an advocate of the rear axle should be parallel with the G'box mainshaft, I did some measurements and found that the distance from the mainshaft centre to the rear primary chaincase screw is about almost fairly close to exactly about the same as the distance from the mainshaft to the gearbox rear outer cover screw (but a bit higher)....so I figure it's close enough to use as a check for measuring to the axle for parallel alignment..without pulling too much apart.....??

If anyone is in a situation to be able to verify or dispute this *fight* *smile*, I'd be interested in input...just to make things easy for us all  *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Final drive alignment- Plunger/ Rigid Curious thing
« Reply #1 on: 18.04. 2017 11:33 »
Could be very useful. I await further opinions.  *wink2*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.04. 2017 12:56 »

A while ago when playing clutch...

Dutch,

Has it occured to you how odd the above quote sounds when reading with blurry eyes in the morning? *smile*

The measurements may be a happy coincidence. I don't think you will know the real precision until you have the primary cover and gearbox oval off so you can measure between the screws and the center of the geabox shaft. After that you can use those recorded values to compensate when measuring to the screws.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.04. 2017 23:34 »

Has it occured to you how odd the above quote sounds when reading with blurry eyes in the morning? *smile

Yep- it's intended to be dodgy anytime... *smile*

and;
I don't think you will know the real precision until you have the primary cover and gearbox oval off so you can measure between the screws and the center of the geabox shaft. After that you can use those recorded values to compensate when measuring to the screws.

Yep,
A while ago when playing clutch,
, I measured from the pushrod to the rear screw in inner casting, and removed the pushrod adjuster in the G-box clutch arm, and slid in a dummy pushrod, and measured to a long screw in the rear of G'box cover (is a bit lower but close enough).

But don't take my word for it, do your own research, but it won't apply to Swing-Arm boxes.

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia