Author Topic: Checks before reassemble  (Read 575 times)

Offline rowanbsa

• Active
Checks before reassemble
« on: 18.04. 2017 13:57 »
Finally managed to "excavate" the gear box sprocket on my 1954 Golden Flash.

Now that it's all in bits I might as well check through everything before I reassemble her for the summer.

Is there anybody with any experience with A10 pre unit plungers that can give me a heads up regarding some of the more obscure things that might need checking before reassembling.
Or any tips?

Thanks
Richard
53 A10 plunger

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Checks before reassemble
« Reply #1 on: 18.04. 2017 16:47 »
These machines are pretty simple with just a few things requiring arcane knowledge, such as the crankshaft oil sludge trap. If you've worked on other period machinery you should be able to use common sense. However this forum is here for you whenever you want!!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 18.04. 2017 16:56 »
Richard ,I don't think the plunger box as any more vices than the s/arm box which I've just rebuilt . I'm no expert but I'd check the selector dogs for wear ,likewise the cam plate ,that the cogs move smoothly on the respective shafts ,don't forget the shim on the layshaft behind the bushed pinion .When you come to reassemble camplate fixed to neutral position. Someone posted a beaut of a tip which I always use to keep the selector dogs in place , simply use an elastic band ,ex postman discarded ones are just right and its then quite easy to reassemble . Hope thats of help, Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.04. 2017 23:22 »

Someone posted a beaut of a tip which I always use to keep the selector dogs in place , simply use an elastic band ,ex postman discarded ones are just right and its then quite easy to reassemble . Hope thats of help, Bob

that's a good tip Bob, but if you do it through the inspection hole on the back the Plunger box don't have it, so won't work. That said, Plunger boxes are a bit more forgiving with regard to selector arm position- just need to hold the tongue right :P
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 19.04. 2017 12:46 »
Oh didn't know that theres no inspection plate but no prob the bands come out the top without any difficulty , Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom