Author Topic: 2017 All British Rally  (Read 912 times)

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
Re: 2017 All British Rally
« Reply #15 on: 18.08. 2017 13:50 »
Good Advice
No reactions
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 18.08. 2017 15:25 »
Nothing humorous about going to the pool after the local primary school has had it's swimming lessons.
Cheers

At least then the water is warmer.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 19.08. 2017 02:46 »
We have one of these, Known as the ABFM, or All British Field Meet and has about 60 clubs that participate, and usually over 1000 cars exhibited, For some reason the Motorcycles tend to be thin on the ground,  For a few years I rallied the troops and put up a booth and enlisted a lot of bikes, but because of my health issues hae not been as active last few years.
I am a member of a local Norton club and It made me quite annoyed that we as a club did not participate, so for a while I paid our entry out of my own pocket and just did it, I managed to shame a few members into showing up, but it tapered off again.
While I really enjoy this event, this one is also on a US Holiday weekend and we are going to our cabin instead for this year,
The local sports car clubs also hold racing although the race cars are not all specifically British.

There is a few events up and down the west coast and some people compete for points in the show car circuit, apparently they are up in BC Canada, Seattle, Portland, Bay area Calif and not sure where else...

See more here: http://abfm-pdx.com/2017
Good Advice
No reactions
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 19.08. 2017 09:39 »
Ha, I thought the tipper was delivering all the Notruns to the rally. *lol*
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 19.08. 2017 10:24 »
Notruns?  That is true, currently none of my Nortons run...But I also have some prototypes that we use for our local museum and I have done displays and promotion work for the museum using these.
Funny thing about that,,  at one of the National Notrun rallys a few years ago, I complained a little about the layout of the campground and how the events were laid out.  My point was for he bike show was a distance away and I was not inclined to pack up my stuff for a few hours show.
One of the local club officers made a few cracks about them not running..

So, being as he is a lawyer and not a mechanic, I noted with a great deal of cynical wit and Irony that he brought multiple bikes to the rally but they all had issues, despite valiant efforts and multiple tech sessions with "Experts" they failed to start or run.  Lo' & Behold what do I see what this same guy trailering his nortons from one end of the campground to the other for the bike show.    Hmmmmm....

A well known bike show locally started a rule for their event that any bike show entrants had to prove they ran before being considered for an award.  They had tired of trophy queens and I am told that the final straw was the oft repeated story that a certain Vincent owner had been displaying his motorcycle for well over 10 years with a broken Crankshaft.

In contrast, A friend entered his 1940 Triumph Speed twin in the local ABFM and he rode to and from the event.  He won not only best motorcycle at the event but they gave him a special judges choice award, this was 3 exceptional machines that defined the event.  Some of the local trophy whores grumbled,, but people were shocked and amazed that he tucked the awards in his backpack, donned his riding gear, fired up the bike and rode it home.   Thats cool in my book.
Good Advice
No reactions
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #20 on: 19.08. 2017 10:58 »
I rode my very travel-stained Star Twin to a show and got 2nd prize - in the grotbike class. Still a way to go to challenge the trailer queens over here.
Good Advice
No reactions
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 19.08. 2017 14:15 »
Ray Jackson, (beezageezauk on this forum) has been organising camps around the UK for classic motorcycles that have been ridden there. Anyone who turns up with more than three wheels will be turned away. I haven't yet managed to attend one of his camps but I will when I can.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 19.08. 2017 22:54 »

......A well known bike show locally started a rule for their event that any bike show entrants had to prove they ran before being considered for an award. ....

When I was involved with the local Bike show (where end-of-life parts were used for Trophies), it was a prerequisite that the bike had to be started and ridden up to collect the trophy *wink2*
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia