Author Topic: Silk  (Read 317 times)

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Silk
« on: 24.04. 2017 14:19 »
Remember those? My pal is currently working on recommissioning one for a widow woman local to him. There is much to like when looking at the rolling chassis, but the rest of it is a right shoddy looking set of bits, and quite tricky to work on too. All a bit nasty for what was considered a premium motorcycle back in the day, and of course attracts substantial sums now.

I can’t help thinking that if you dumped the engine, gearbox and all other ancillaries and then bolted in something like the old Suzuki GT500 two stroke twin and its associated bits and bobs you'd have a rather splendid motorcycle. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Silk
« Reply #1 on: 24.04. 2017 14:50 »
Never heard of Silk until this post. Reading the Wiki, learned that they went out of busines when they determined they were losing £200 per bike. I'm surprised. As we all know, they could make it up with volume.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.04. 2017 15:06 »
Having seen this bike, I suspect that volume was always going to be out of the question. Plus the market for a large capacity ‘quality’ two stroke must have been limited by the later 70’s. Err, apart from various RGs and RDs that followed I suppose – but then they weren’t quality were they(?). The other problem being that given what I’ve seen of this one half of the bits seem to have been knocked out by the more inept half of any apprentices they might have had on the plot.   
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.04. 2017 19:47 »
Uhhh, Butch, did you miss my joke or does British humor demand you ignore bad cheap jokes and move on?

Let's try this one: "Horse walks into a bar. Bartender says, 'why the long face?'"

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.04. 2017 20:55 »
was considered a premium motorcycle back in the day, and of course attracts substantial sums now.

I only slightly knew one owner of a Silk. It lurched from one expensive problem to another until he took advantage of its eminent saleability.

Considered a premium motorcycle by non-owners.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 24.04. 2017 21:07 »
The famous "silk purse out of a sows ear"? *whistle*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 25.04. 2017 01:35 »
Bit of a shame really.
They are based on the Scott, an early tt winner.
The early Scotts are fabulous things and worth every penny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQJj5sn8QM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z4deVlmnQc

cheers

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 25.04. 2017 18:08 »
There is a small but enthusiastic Silk Owners Club in the UK. A good one is indeed a good bike. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep