Author Topic: 1955 A7SS - Timing Side Gasket  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
Re: 1955 A7SS - Timing Side Gasket
« Reply #30 on: 14.06. 2017 08:28 »
I have 4 twin bikes and noproblems with wet sumping. Doesnt matter if it is converted to roler bearing with SRM oilpump or the original timingside bush with old oilpump.
At one negine there was only two times wet sumping in about 10 years. Dont ask me about the reason I dont know.
I use a muligrade 20/50 oil. Most time the bikes are in regularly use, except the racer.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 14.06. 2017 08:31 »
 SS rounded me up- I can only say figure how long it takes to drain some and start it after that time to pump it back up, or drain the oil tank into a container and refill it before you need it  *pull hair out* ffs just use it

For what it's worth, and probably not relevant here, but whilst searching for Gutzzi info I came across a simple comment that said in essence " the only moving part that doesn't receive unfiltered oil is the pump".....a bit (slightly) different for ours with filters in the return line, but worth a thought...

I'll probably promote that thought in other places- beware *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 14.06. 2017 08:38 »
For me is wet sumping only a problem when oil spreads out of the breather by kicking down the engine. Otherwise I do not realise how much oil is in the crankcase and I dont care about. After a minute running I check the oillevel. In runing condition the the oilreturn is sucking air and I you can see this. At this moment your oillevel in the case is ok.

The two time the engine had this wet sumping the oiltank was totaly drained.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 14.06. 2017 12:49 »
I believe I owe my last A10 engine rebuild to an anti sumping valve. I would not use one ever again.
I am fortunate that since the build my engine wet sumps not a drop, not even after months of standing.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 16.06. 2017 02:54 »
Bikerboy,
How bad is your wet sumping.
I'm new to the game and was a bit paranoid of this evil - but have read loads and loads on the subject and strangely I feel a lot more relaxed about it.
How much oil do you get and in what sort of time period?
A quick sump drain before a ride isn't too bad a compromise.
The guys on here will keep you right and will be able to advise what is acceptable (normal) and not - remember there should be oil in the sump - and if none after a rebuild or whatever you need to prime by adding oil to the sump (as you did in the above thread) - so a dry sump is probably worse than a wet one!

cheers Raymond.

Well if I leave the bike 3 days I will have nothing in the oil tank its all in the sump, I dont know why its so drastic but until I have the engine apart again (which if I have my way wont be for years) then its staying with a wet sumping vale :)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #35 on: 16.06. 2017 08:40 »

Well if I leave the bike 3 days I will have nothing in the oil tank its all in the sump, I dont know why its so drastic but until I have the engine apart again (which if I have my way wont be for years) then its staying with a wet sumping vale :)
[/quote]

And I though mine was bad, 2 weeks and get about 500ML out the engine! the A10 that is, the A7 can leave that for months and still OK.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #36 on: 16.06. 2017 10:18 »
Mmmm...did wet sumping paranoia come about due to the "invention" of the alloy plate sump plug?  In the old days can't remember anyone removing the plate, despite only 4 nuts to undo and only on the rare occasion of an oil change did it get removed - I can't ever remember any of the gang mentioning wet sumping, we were probably ignorant of the term....we seem to thrash them and never witnessed a blow up!

All the best......

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 16.06. 2017 10:38 »

I can't ever remember any of the gang mentioning wet sumping, we were probably ignorant of the term....we seem to thrash them and never witnessed a blow up!

They were also possibly used more frequently/daily *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #38 on: 16.06. 2017 10:56 »
In the old days can't remember anyone removing the plate, despite only 4 nuts to undo and only on the rare occasion of an oil change did it get removed
Ah yes, in my misspent youth I was never aware of such things, but of course the bike was used as every day transport so that probably masked the problem. Oil changes? Never did such things, I wasn't even aware that it was important to do that. If the oil level got a bit low tha tank got topped up, but that was all I ever did. The strange thing is despite such abuse the bikes just kept going regardless. Ignorence was bliss! How times have changed. These days I am paranoid about oil changes and maintanence in general, but all those years ago I had no such concerns. Niether did I worry about the consquences of such things as setting the timing correctly, or adjusting the carb for the correct mixture. I was totally unaware of things like holed pistons and other dire consequences of not adhering to the fettling procedures. I just rode the bike, day in day out, and the odd thing was it was utterly reliable with the exception of batteries which seemed to fail with monotous regularity.
John

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 16.06. 2017 13:34 »
I was 16 when I buggered up my Huntmaster when the rocker box feed pipe came off and dumped all the oil. There was a narrow river of oil disappearing into the distance behind me and bits of piston ring shooting out of the silencer!  *pull hair out*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash