Author Topic: 1955 A7SS - Timing Side Gasket  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
1955 A7SS - Timing Side Gasket
« on: 22.05. 2017 16:11 »
Hi All,

I think I need some help. I've just renewed my Dynamo Chain and fitted a new Timing Side Gasket and on start-up I'm not getting any return oil back into the tank. I've removed the new oil and checked all of the pipes and blown them through and they are connected up correctly.

So I had a look back over the photo's I took when changing out the chain and I noticed that the new gasket is slightly different to the old one in that at the bottom below the pump there is an additional piece of gasket covering up a boss of some sort marked in red. Should this area be covered up, as I can't think what it is? I've just added the a photo showing the old gasket.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1955 A7SS - Timing Side Gasket
« Reply #1 on: 22.05. 2017 16:38 »
The extra bit of gasket does not cover an oilway so unlikely to be the cause of no return.

It is useful to add some oil to the sump after an oil change, it gives the return side of the pump something to pump straight away rather than wait until some oil gets in the sump from the feed side.

BSA recommended 1/2 pint for the A65 so around the same would be ok for the A7.

Pour it in through tappet inspection cover. But remember to leave space in the oil tank for it.

The other possibility is that the pickup pipe in the sump is obstructed and the little ball stuck.

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 22.05. 2017 17:18 »
Useful tip, I'll give it ago thanks.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 22.05. 2017 18:03 »
Could be an air lock, try walking your bike in gear.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.05. 2017 20:16 »

Terry I think that extra bit is maybe a blind boss (aren't all bosses blind? *smile*) for a dowell pin between the C-case and inner cover  *????*

Could be an air lock, try walking your bike in gear.

After reinstalling my oil filter setup, I had to walk a fair bit further than last time, even having pre-fillled the filter (~200ml)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 22.05. 2017 21:11 »
If you've had the pump off have you primed the it with oil before bolting it back on.  Just a thought.   

ELLIS

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 22.05. 2017 21:12 »
This extra bit of gasget is necessary for the rolerbearing conversion. There is the oilfeed to the crank via the outer timing cover.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 22.05. 2017 21:23 »
Hi Guy's

Thanks for the advice and the explanation for the gasket deviation. It's possible that the bike has been standing for a while, during the top end refurb, re-spray and general tarting up. So it's likely that there is an air lock or the pump needs priming. I'll have ago in the morning and report back. Cheers.

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 23.05. 2017 10:07 »
Well I've added 1/2 pint of oil through the tappet chest and I've primed the flow and return pipes and no return oil. I suppose the next step is to remove the sump and check for obstructions.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 23.05. 2017 12:23 »
Well I've added 1/2 pint of oil through the tappet chest and I've primed the flow and return pipes and no return oil. I suppose the next step is to remove the sump and check for obstructions.
Check that the end of the sump pickup pipe is clear of obstruction.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 23.05. 2017 15:11 »

Do you have compressed air at hand to blow up the scavenge pipe?

Or pump some oil down the return line to/from the tank if not already suggested...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 23.05. 2017 16:01 »
Do you have compressed air at hand to blow up the scavenge pipe?

I must remember that Ozzie insult: Go and blow air up yer scavenge pipe!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 23.05. 2017 16:46 »
Possibly as rude as there " put a pencil down yer plughole" ?? 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 23.05. 2017 23:00 »

I must remember that Ozzie insult: Go and blow air up yer scavenge pipe!
Possibly as rude as there " put a pencil down yer plughole" ?? 

yez trin' t'ctell me somethin' ?    *dunno*
Australia

beezermacc

« Reply #14 on: 23.05. 2017 23:39 »
I suspect the return side of the pump has drained out so you'll need to prime that side of the pump. The feed side of the pump hardly ever needs priming as it is gravity fed (as victims of wet sumping know only too well!), however the return side will drain out dry and there is no automatic way of it replenishing itself. This is my method.... make sure there is some oil in the sump (tip a couple of cups down the rocker box via an open tappet inspection cover). Take the oil pipe off the return side at the crankcase spigot. There are 'F' and 'R' stampings on the crankcase. Take the spark plugs out, engage any gear and rotate the rear wheel backwards whilst squirting oil into the spigot. I actually use an old oil pipe cut off at about 3" and screwed onto the spigot. You should see oil being drawn into the pump. Once you have 'lost' about 20cc into the pump it should be primed. Check by rotating the wheel forwards and watch oil exit from the spigot. Fingers crossed, job done! Reconnect the oil pipe (obviously!).   

....Another, less sophisticated, method is to fill the oil tank right to the top and leave it overnight so the oil can run down the return pipe via the exit hole at the top of the return pipe. Hopefully, by the morning, enough oil should have found its way into the pump to prime it.

Both the above methods have worked for me.