Author Topic: Magneto say Fuel - Spark = Bitch won't start ? Renamed  (Read 2917 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Magneto/ Fuel - Spark = Bitch won't start ? Renamed
« Reply #30 on: 01.06. 2017 06:45 »

My dad, who was an electrician on submarines in the '20s, ......   

Can't help imaging extension cables plugged in the back of the Sub *eek*

Anyway-today's update; 
 I ripped the Maggie out and found lateral play in the drive -side bearing, so  called ol' matte at Kallangur and he said to bring it up for a squizz, which I've done. Was keen to dissect it but figured best to leave it intact. ..at that stage
 A quick look showed a hairline crack running the length of the body- probably not good. ...he'll do surgery on it and let me know iin a day or two..... *dunno2*....$$$$

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Magneto say Fuel - Spark = Bitch won't start ? Renamed
« Reply #31 on: 02.06. 2017 00:40 »

Todays update; had a message from Daven who had a look at the Maggy...

D/S bearing had spun in the housing, burn/break in winding (hence the high resistance-x3+), slip-ring is shot and condensor(s) appear to be shot.

Reckons he has the bits to repair, but could be a couple of weeks..

Nothing much good except that when Les did it, he said it'd outlast me, maybe he thought I looked a bit ragged   *eek* ....guess I got one up and outlasted it *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 02.06. 2017 06:39 »
It should have lasted a lot longer than 10,000 miles.

How long was it in years?

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 02.06. 2017 08:14 »

I'd've thought the same, and expected lifespan was a pending question, considering Les said 'it'll outlast me'...

I had it rebuilt mid-90's, and used it only basically once a year to get to the local bike show for the wheel change race, as by the time I had the Maggy fixed the rest had gone to crap- no rego or anything, then domestic bliss went pooposideon, and it parked up from ~97/8 until I dug it out in 2010. Add a couple of years to rebuild ( early '13).

So basically about 20 years
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 02.06. 2017 08:34 »

How long was it in years?

Maybe it is like dog years?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 02.06. 2017 12:16 »
Ah well, when you get the mag back you are gonna love the easy starting. Whatever it costs, it's worth it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #36 on: 02.06. 2017 13:52 »
The K2F magnetos on my bikes A7, A10 & Norton were rebuilt about 30 years ago and each has covered a minimum of 30,000 miles. Hopefully your next magneto rebuild will be to this standard.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 02.06. 2017 14:16 »
I'm struggling with the question: What became of the lubrication in the D/S bearing?

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 02.06. 2017 17:35 »

........ you are gonna love the easy starting. Whatever it costs, it's worth it.

yea, but It's generally been a one or two kick starter anyway- even the day it stopped, hot or cold, no choke (doesn't exist) doesn't need a tickle- just do it from habit *eek*

The K2F magnetos on my bikes A7, A10 & Norton were rebuilt about 30 years ago and each has covered a minimum of 30,000 miles. Hopefully your next magneto rebuild will be to this standard.

At least what I expected. *conf2*

I'm struggling with the question: What became of the lubrication in the D/S bearing?

Maybe I missed that- but am also struggling with it  *conf2*
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #39 on: 02.06. 2017 20:31 »
  D/S bearing had spun in the housing, burn/break in winding (hence the high resistance-x3+), slip-ring is shot and condensor(s) appear to be shot.
And still running? ::hh::
Are we sometimes not a bit harsh on our dear old friend George Lucas...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 02.06. 2017 20:35 »

Yes, it was Joseph Lucas's successors who threw these things together with paper daisies wrapped around the bearings.

George Lucas is innocent!

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #41 on: 02.06. 2017 20:45 »

Yes, it was Joseph Lucas's successors who threw these things together with paper daisies wrapped around the bearings.

George Lucas is innocent!
Yeah, I know. was thinking Joseph and typed George. That bloody star wars thing... *conf2*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 15.06. 2017 11:48 »

Ok Folks, so I have a favourable resolution  *smile*

Collected the rebuilt Maggy, and stuck it in and I reckon would've started first kick except I'd messed with the carby settings the other week, as when it did fire after 3 or 4 kicks blew some black smoke...but not for long.

Photos;
 #1 The bits he replaced, including new looking windings with burnt bits, and condensers with possible signs of overheating
 #2  very small burnt bits at end of arrow,

He said it had the wrong slip-ring for K2F, as the brass ring runs from 90º before spike hole to 90º after spike hole = 180º, and the new whitiesh one he installed is ~120º- spike position unknown  *dunno*.

These two pics are just aids as part of the process;
 #3 Timing cover drain hole mod; to drain the timing chest oil before pulling the cover- maybe I just like to live dangerous
 #4 Street sweeper bristle; used it to slide the washers down to the bottom stud with the 'extended nut' (and for a shitload of other things)

haven't been far yet full test tomorrow, ran outta daylight, so just to the bottle-O, for more suds

Cheery days *smile*
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 15.06. 2017 13:58 »
Hard to believe all of that came out of one magneto.  *smile*

Drain hole sems is a good idea. Any trouble with leakage around the screw? No moreso  than the primary cover, I suppose.

We will now begin a contest for naming the best use of a street-sweeper bristle.

----back scratcher.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 15.06. 2017 15:16 »
I have taken 3 different types of slip ring from anticlockwise K2F mags. I wonder if your old ones like any of the photos?

First photo slip ring on left is from a K2FC marked part 456727. Next to it is a standard K2F item(yes a bit abused) which shows the difference in brass segment length.

Second photo a different view of the same two slip rings.

Third shows one I took from a K2FR (marked 493198 and 35KV) on left next to a standard K2F item marked part 455361. The former having a slightly longer brass segment than the standard item and slightly shorter than the K2FC item.

Anyone know the reason for the different brass segments?