Author Topic: Scuse the muppetry, but can anyone help me find a post by Groilly about leaky he  (Read 413 times)

Offline Big Seven

• Moving Up
Trying to find a post by Groilly" leaking head gaskets " ?
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

Try    www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4408.msg29512#msg29512

Chat, Offtopic, Relaxing & Diverse / Re: 1959 Enfield Constallation crankcase pressure
« by groily on June 03, 2011, 17:31:54 »

......  breather, see threads on this forum) helps. The head steady needs to be as mega as you can fabricate  ............  avoid the separate barrels and heads moving and leaking oil from barrel base and all  ............  nylon one which maintains pressure better; Comex head gaskets instead of copper are good things too, at  ......
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Big Seven

• Moving Up
Thanks dutch, that 52 A10 you had, you don't know the reg? , could be mine!?
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened

Thanks dutch, that 52 A10 you had, you don't know the reg? , could be mine!?

I doubt it, but strange things do happen;
    The only reason I call it a '52, is it's stamped 23.12.52, so probably a '53.  I started with a frame (actually circa '55/6?- BA7S 1919*), a tank and half a guard that I found in the local 'Gabba wrecker, and grafted the engine/tranny from Sandgate, and we're all on the other side of the planet  *eek*.

Was it the post you were after? I just pasted your words in the 'search' ; first failed attempt was 'this post' so I tried 'search entire forum' ..about 30 seconds *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Big Seven

• Moving Up
Looks like it could be, while I've got your attention, did you ever have grief from a solid copper head gasket. I cannot get this one to seal, either that or oil is finding its way into the barrels from elsewhere, but where *dunno* *dunno*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
There is two drain holes at the front of the gasket that need sealant on them, could this be it?
Good Advice
No reactions
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened

.........did you ever have grief from a solid copper head gasket. ......

aaah - not that I recall....but Tomcat rounded me up, so maybe what he said
two drain holes at the front of the gasket that need sealant on them,
??

have you run a straight-edge across both faces in many directions ?  Even placing the head on the barrels maybe the studs done down (finger-tight) and a bright light on the opposite side (sunlight) can work- or put the head on with out a gasket or studs, and some engineers blue-stuff
Good Advice
No reactions
Australia

Offline Big Seven

• Moving Up
Ok I'll give them a try, not sure about the drain holes tho, the previous gasket was the same pattern and gave no trouble. Thanks I'll keep you posted 👍
Good Advice
No reactions

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi,
Have you annealed the gasket?
Remove any rough edges around the bolt holes and make sure there is some clearance around them
Check cylinder and head for flatness
Make sure the head bolts are in good condition, free to screw all the way into the cylinder threads
The head bolt washers distort and cause binding on the bolt heads, make sure the bolt head faces are flat (spot face them)
Use a little anti seize paste under the bolt heads and on the threads
A little bit of sealer (hylomar) around the oil drain holes and the pushrod tunnel wont hurt

John
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)