Author Topic: Plunger frame Airbox - possible production  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Plunger frame Airbox - possible production
« on: 01.06. 2017 15:23 »
I'm getting a quote on having an airbox for my 51 Plunger 67-4594 (Air cleaner and battery carrier combined, plus the element cradle) professionally made using a complete one that I have as the template. Knowing how rare these critters are, if anyone else is interested in purchasing one, i'd be happy to hear from you. Serious expressions of interest with no obligation to purchase.

I figure 1 airbox will cost a pretty penny, but if I can get a second quote for an order of several, I'd hope the price will reduce and all benefit.
Yes risk for all of us. But finding then buying these things in any condition is filled with a far greater risk. I will post pix of the new airbox if the initial price does not prevent me going ahead.

Next negative, for those who know the sky has fallen in, I am in Western Australia, happily near the most remote capital city in the world. So postage won't be free !!!

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Plunger frame Airbox
« Reply #1 on: 01.06. 2017 23:26 »
 *eek* I was lucky enough to pick one up without the filter last year, & yes their like GOLD..
I hope you get many orders to get the price down..  *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.06. 2017 00:56 »
I have been able to make the air cleaner element by modifying (chopping up) a K & N element and fitting in place of the original media. Think it was the rectangular K & N element to suit a trident air box. It is the same (or close enough to) height as the original. Use some silastic ("a little dab will do") to seal the new media into the old air box.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.06. 2017 12:17 »
I have been able to make the air cleaner element by modifying (chopping up) a K & N element and fitting in place of the original media. Think it was the rectangular K & N element to suit a trident air box. It is the same (or close enough to) height as the original. Use some silastic ("a little dab will do") to seal the new media into the old air box.
Ditto here.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 03.06. 2017 11:07 »
But we're talking the whole unit here. I still have the original but I'd say quite a few don't. I would be interested in a spare at a realistic price. Please get a quote on say 10-20. It could be the start of a proper spares scheme, not dodgy eastern repros (until they get them done cheaper there)  *problem*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 11.06. 2017 02:18 »
There was one on ebay a while ago but the £320 price tag put me off I decided I will make one :)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.06. 2017 02:43 »

I have about a quarter of one that's been cut up for some reason.. I think they wouldn't be all that hard to make  *dunno*

I have no use for one though (alloy head on Plungie) so count me out
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 17.06. 2017 15:18 »
Sorry to those who may have been interested. My guy took a look at the airbox and decided it was out of his capability range. Gotta respect someone who declines a job rather than promises the world and produces a pigs ear.

So I will keep looking for one, and if I find 2 will keep you in mind Musky.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 17.06. 2017 21:54 »
Thanks for letting us know Gavin.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #9 on: 17.06. 2017 22:47 »
There was one on ebay a while ago but the £320 price tag put me off I decided I will make one :)

MB Transits per chance??

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 25.06. 2017 13:27 »
Hi,

If you find either someone else to make, or come across a replacement then I'd be very interested as I've been looking for a fair while and getting no joy.
I have been in contact with the National Motorcycle Museum and they have offered that I can take measurements from their Maudes Trophy bike and may have someone who can make from that, but it will be a while before I can arrange either.

Richard

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #11 on: 25.06. 2017 23:29 »

I have about a quarter of one that's been cut up for some reason..
DITTO...   *eek*   which bit you missing?   we might be able to make up a full one between us?  *work*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.06. 2017 23:33 »
Just thinking aloud: The flat metal work would not be too difficult to fabricate. The filter box, with the rounded edges; could that be made in fibreglass if a suitable mould were created?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 26.06. 2017 04:45 »

Quote from: duTch on June 11, 2017, 12:43:00

I have about a quarter of one that's been cut up for some reason..

DITTO...   *eek*   which bit you missing?   we might be able to make up a full one between us?  *work*

I'm not even sure where it is at the moment,  but what I have is basically just part of the attachment strap and a bit of sheet metal each side of it- stuff that should be easy to make.
 I don't need one anyway,  just curious. ..if  I needed one and had measurements I'd be silly enough to have a go- if I had time
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #14 on: 26.06. 2017 19:54 »
Hi,
If you find either someone else to make, or come across a replacement then I'd be very interested as I've been looking for a fair while and getting no joy.
I have been in contact with the National Motorcycle Museum and they have offered that I can take measurements from their Maudes Trophy bike and may have someone who can make from that, but it will be a while before I can arrange either.

Richard

Hi, there's an old guy who was brilliant at fabrication and welding - real time served engineer who I would consider more than capable of constructing one but pursuading him to do so may be trickier. He's called Ray J Pettet and is based in Nottingham. I last used his services a few years back to take my tank apart, remove big dents and re-weld it back together - did a fab job. But no idea if he's still in business or not. He may be worth a punt?  Let me know your where abouts (roughly) if interested and I'll give you the heads up and if you need measurements, I may be able to assist.
Cheers
RoadRunner.