Author Topic: Plunger frame Airbox - possible production  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
Re: Plunger frame Airbox
« Reply #15 on: 30.06. 2017 21:27 »
Hi,
Sorry for delay in response, but yes if its possible to provide measurements that would be fantastic as any help would be appreciated.
At present I have the wrong box in place which doesn't match and carb is unable to either attach the rubber shroud or Amal supplied alloy rim.

Many thanks for the help offered.

Richard
PS based in Norfolk

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 13.07. 2017 15:35 »
Folks,

I've been very fortunate in that one member of this forum has very kindly spent a lot of time and effort in giving me lots of photos and measurements for both the box and filter. Hopefully this will be enough to enable my friendly neighbourhood engineer to create a new one for me.

I'll update you on progress when I get more info. Might be worth asking him to make 2-3 as sure they'll be well received!

Regards

Richard

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 13.07. 2017 21:52 »
If you're running an informal tally of possible customers, then please count me in too. Thanks!

Offline oldbikerbill

• Moving Up
  • 1954 Bsa A10 Plunger. Located outside San Diego,
« Reply #18 on: 15.10. 2017 21:54 »
Could you publish the photos and measurements here?
Bsa A10 Plunger, '72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado,'73 Bmw r75/5

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
Re: Plunger frame Airbox - possible production
« Reply #19 on: 17.10. 2017 04:11 »
-We have a complete used one here https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/product/67-4594/
Also have a spare used element https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/product/67-4600/
and have the strap for the battery carrier that I am about to list now 29-4657

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 17.10. 2017 05:15 »
Thanks Mike, Bought it.

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 17.10. 2017 05:25 »
Yeah I didn't think that would last too long ;)

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
« Reply #22 on: 21.12. 2017 18:10 »
Hi,

Frustration indeed.
After one of you kind gents provided  me with detail drawings and photos of the airbox I was more than hopeful that someone would fabricate the airbag for me.
I have now tried several fabrication firms to be told they can only work to duplicate an existing one, or need 3D drawings. Neither of which I have.
I guess the search to various jumble sales will now have to continue in the New Year.

Richard

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 21.12. 2017 23:14 »
I'm very pleased that my bike still had those bits on it. I just needed to buy the shiny battery strap and bolt arrangement.

I can imagine someone using a good filter case to make a mould to then create new GRP filter cases. The other parts could be fabricated from flat stock.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 22.12. 2017 14:17 »
Hi Richard, I am about 8 weeks off retiring, and plan to tinker on a few bikes I have in the shed as 2018 unfolds. Since starting this post I have acquired 2 more airboxes, and before anyone starts salivating, they are both accounted for on next years projects.

However, I would be prepared to try and make another from fibreglass etc. I will mess about for a while, and if I convince myself it's strong enough to support a battery I will try one the Plungers I am rebuilding, and see how it goes.

Meanwhile all the best at the jumble sales. I'll also keep an eye out in Aus if one appears here.

Have a safe n significant Christmas mate. 

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 22.12. 2017 15:36 »
...I would be prepared to try and make another from fibreglass etc. I will mess about for a while, and if I convince myself it's strong enough to support a battery...
Good job! As there will have to be a metal bracket for the battery the fibreglass part may not have to carry much weight. As I see it, (from memory) the tricky bits will be setting a threaded boss in the corner for frame attachment and the inner part, where the rubber hose goes.

If these rare things can be manufactured I reckon they will be in demand.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 22.12. 2017 22:14 »
I can get them made, But there is a catch,.  While Its admirable someone made drawings, and diagrams, in reality in manufacturing its often "open to interpretation" so only a Print in solidworks, or similar CAD files are worthwhile.   
But *IF* someone can locate a friendly associate who has access to a 3D scanner then along WITH drawings, pictures and diagrams then you can get something accurately replicated.

Not everyone still uses Solidworks, and tech has marched on, but its still a industry standard, If you have other software, let me know and likely I can work with it.

I DO have access to the manufacturing to make these,  If you guys want to move fwd, PM me.  (I have some  other bits in the works)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
« Reply #27 on: 02.01. 2018 20:46 »
Guys,

Thanks for the offers/suggestions, its much appreciated.
At present I've not yet been able to find anyone who can do me a 3D drawing, but will keep looking locally and as I understand then standardworks is the application.
Im still looking for the airbox, but I continue with no success. Hope to visit a few bike jumbles in the early part of the year so my fingers remain crossed.

Regards

Richard

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
« Reply #28 on: 02.01. 2018 20:58 »
Sorry,

should have been  Solidworks, not Standardworks.

Richard

Offline vinver

• Moving Up
« Reply #29 on: 29.01. 2018 01:59 »
I have a spare rigid frame airbox- for early A7. Is it significantly different from the plunger airbox? And, do they use the same filter element, as I don't have one of those, was planning to make one as others suffested.
1948 A7- the perpetual 25 year restoration.  1954 A10 , 1957 Ariel Huntmaster