Author Topic: Quadrant / Pinion  (Read 2051 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Quadrant / Pinion
« on: 02.06. 2017 16:53 »
Firstly, I have NEVER taken a gearbox apart and am quite nervous about attempting it.
I reported in a previous post that I was having trouble with the kickstart jambing.
I have looked through the inspection hole and can see the quadrant and it looks good.
I can't see the pinion though.
As I rotate the kickstart I can see the quadrant rotate then come to a stop with a knocking sound.
My question is - If I purchase a pinion gear (67-3376), how difficult is it for ME to remove the front cover and replace it ?
What do I have to be careful about ?
(I am a average d.i.y. mechanic.)
Roy,
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Quadrant / Pinion
« Reply #1 on: 02.06. 2017 17:22 »

mate they're dead easy, super-unscary, even I've done it. just drain the oil first *eek*, makes it much less messy.

I think a 3/8" ww socket or 7/16" sae is close enough, and a screw driver for the cheese heads (or approriate socket key), and maybe a footpeg spanner. leave the shift and kick levers on, you need to jiggle the kick lever off the stop to remove, and chock it against the clutch arm so the kick spring doesn't go spazzo

Any probs after that, help is not far away...just go do it and we'll her from you soon *wink2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.06. 2017 19:16 »

mate they're dead easy, super-unscary, even I've done it. just drain the oil first *eek*, makes it much less messy.

I think a 3/8" ww socket or 7/16" sae is close enough, and a screw driver for the cheese heads (or approriate socket key), and maybe a footpeg spanner. leave the shift and kick levers on, you need to jiggle the kick lever off the stop to remove, and chock it against the clutch arm so the kick spring doesn't go spazzo

Any probs after that, help is not far away...just go do it and we'll her from you soon *wink2*

Thanks Dutch, I will order a pinion and give it a go.  *conf2* *conf2*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.06. 2017 20:16 »
You actually need a 3/16 whitworth socket for the extended nuts, perferably with a 3/8 drive.  1/2 drive sockets often have too large outside diameter to get into the limited space.

With the cover off it is worth renewing the kickstart and gearchange springs, could save another job later.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 02.06. 2017 20:19 »
If you're planning to only change the pinion, check the teeth from your new pinion against the teeth on the quadrant. If they aren't a snug fit, don't even bother. They'll still jam.
I advise to change both and order them at the same supplier.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.06. 2017 21:22 »
You actually need a 3/16 whitworth socket for the extended nuts, perferably with a 3/8 drive.  1/2 drive sockets often have too large outside diameter to get into the limited space.

With the cover off it is worth renewing the kickstart and gearchange springs, could save another job later.
Thanks Julian,
Both springs ordered.
I am pretty well off for 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive sockets.
Roy
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.06. 2017 21:41 »
If you're planning to only change the pinion, check the teeth from your new pinion against the teeth on the quadrant. If they aren't a snug fit, don't even bother. They'll still jam.
I advise to change both and order them at the same supplier.

Thanks Morris,
I will order both from Priory.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 15.06. 2017 10:12 »
Hi chaps,
I now have the parts required, I hope!
Cover gasket.
Kickstart return spring
Gear selector spring
Quadrant (42-3160)
Pinion ratchet (67-3376)
Pinion ratchet outer (67-3167)

Befor I start, has the gear selector got to be in any particular position, neutral etc ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 15.06. 2017 10:30 »
Yes ,neutral and as everyone says this is a real easy job .While you've got it of it's worth looking at the gear change quadrant as well check the ends for any wear also just look out for the dot on the casing that should align with a mark ,thats your visual guide to reassemble the box in neutral should you ever need to delve inside the box .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.06. 2017 10:37 »
Presuming you dont intend to remove the inner cover (in which case it needs to be in neutral) put the box in gear. You will need to lock the mainshaft on the rear brake to undo the nut securing the ratchet and rachet pinion and you cannot do this unless bike in gear.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.06. 2017 11:14 »
Presuming you dont intend to remove the inner cover (in which case it needs to be in neutral) put the box in gear. You will need to lock the mainshaft on the rear brake to undo the nut securing the ratchet and rachet pinion and you cannot do this unless bike in gear.

Let me see if I understand you correctly - I am changing the kickstart quadrant and kickstart pinion.
You are saying that I need to have it in gear to undo the pinion nut, is that correct ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.06. 2017 11:18 »
Correct. with bike in gear, apply rear brake hard and the mainshaft will be held in position, in neutral only engine compression will hold the mainshaft. Take plug leads off plugs.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 15.06. 2017 11:21 »
Correct. with bike in gear, apply rear brake hard and the mainshaft will be held in position, in neutral only engine compression will hold the mainshaft. Take plug leads off plugs.

Thanks lads.
Here goes. wish me luck.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.06. 2017 17:36 »
All done, only took about an hour, although I wouldn't like to go any further in.
It seems to have cured the locking up problem in as much as it will kick over OK and return to top, but it is not perfectly smooth.
I can feel it kind of engaging every tooth as I kick it over.
I can't feel any play in any of the bushes and all the parts feel like a nice fit all except for the stop, that is a little wobbly.
Perhaps it will all bed in with use.
Thanks for all of your help.
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 15.06. 2017 18:30 »
Did you take any pictures while you were in there? It would be very helpful to see the tooth forms for both the quadrant and the pinion. Do you recall if both were pointy, flattened off, or one of each?

Richard L.