Author Topic: Sludge tube rattle?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Sludge tube rattle?
« on: 02.06. 2017 22:43 »
 I put the cases and crank together, everything feels great. But, I am hearing a rattling noise *conf* *conf* *conf*.

It's not a clunk, it's a rattle. The only thing spinning is the crankshaft and rods.

I thought maybe one of the two ball bearings, so I slathered them in assembly lube to keep them quiet, and still I have a rattle. *conf*

It's twice with the swing of the crank, near TDC and BDC. Anyone ever have a sludge tube that rattled? Is that what I am hearing?
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sludge tube rattle?
« Reply #1 on: 02.06. 2017 22:56 »
Hi Lee,
Hmmm??
Is this with the new rods? a possibility maybe the ends of the big end bolts touching the crankcase??
The sludge trap tube should be a fairly tight fit = no rattles

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.06. 2017 23:09 »
...possibility maybe the ends of the big end bolts touching the crankcase??
He says he gets the noise at TDC and BDC
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.06. 2017 23:21 »
That's the weird part, TDC AND BDC. *conf*

John, I checked bolt to case clearance and I have a metric mile. Way more than stock rods with ARP bolts.

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 03.06. 2017 00:06 »
Assuming that the A10 crank is the same as my Ariel, can you gain access to the crank web securing bolt that secures the centre of the trap tube. If so you should be able to determine if there is any movement using a suitable piece of stiff wire. Saves removing the s/trap plugs.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.06. 2017 00:25 »

I think I know the sound Lee- I'm fairly sure I had to dress the bell-end of the tube a bit to make it snug.

I'm assuming it and plugs are in the right way  !

I also had another sound  but only at one position, and that turned out to be a distorted bit of the crank sprocket rivet catching on the seal which was slightly out of line- but that's in a Plunger motor, forget the sprocket profile on later ones.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.06. 2017 01:20 »
 You know, I was going to leave that damn thing out because I'm going to run a filter anyway.

Now the motor is buttoned up and it's come back to haunt me.

Well, I'm taking it back down to be 100 percent certain anyway....now that everything is sealed, torqued and lock tited *sad2*

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.06. 2017 02:45 »
 OK,

Cases apart, its definitely the sludge tube rattling slightly. Now the million dollar question, should I attempt to remove the plugs and throw this away, or leave it loose as the trap will fill with oil and silence it anyway?

I cannot see it impeding oil to the big ends, but I will wait for a better informed opinion.

BTW, the allen plugs I bought were a very tight fit, then someone might have accidentally spilled red locktite on them....so they are truly in there. *conf*

Lee

Offline Seabee

• A's Good Friend
  • 1957 Road Rocket
« Reply #8 on: 03.06. 2017 03:31 »
Did one of your new plugs have the tit that aligns/holds the tube?
1961 Super Rocket
1957 Road Rocket
2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1993 Harley Springer Softtail
1971 Harley Shovelhead
1970 Harley Sportster Chopper
1957 Harley Panhead Chopper
1982 Yamaha XT550
2001 KTM EXC 400
1970 Honda CT70
Southern Illinois, USA

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 03.06. 2017 06:40 »
After checking all oil ways etc., I've just fitted the sludge trap tube. I put it back in the same way as it was removed, which, in my case was the bell end facing the timing side.  The plug with the projection was located at the small end side of the tube, and obviously, the flat plug at the bell end, leaving the oil feed hole clear.  Once I'd fitted the location bolt, the tube could be moved slightly by sticking a finger in and wobbling it about a bit, but I took that as being normal. Also, I've re-used the existing plugs.  I'd appreciate a heads up if any of this is wrong!!!
'59 GF

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.06. 2017 12:04 »
 I have to pop down to the local hardware store to pick up some Acetone- that will clean the three bond off the cases.

Then I get to removing the sludge tube. :!

I am hoping the allen plugs come out OK, but I know its going to be a rough road. *sad2*

The Allen plugs went in so hard that I thread checked them twice. I bet I ran out of "welly" before I got the tin tube pinched up decent.

Holding the crankshaft at TDC and then flipping it over I hear the noise, going back and forth I hear the tink, tink, tink...

Lee

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 03.06. 2017 13:14 »
I'm pretty sure three-bond and Yamabond are the same. If so, lacquer thinner works very well to remove it.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.06. 2017 13:52 »
The Plunger doesn't have that tube.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 03.06. 2017 14:21 »

Cases apart, its definitely the sludge tube rattling slightly. Now the million dollar question, should I attempt to remove the plugs and throw this away, or leave it loose as the trap will fill with oil and silence it anyway?

I cannot see it impeding oil to the big ends, but I will wait for a better informed opinion................
, and;

Holding the crankshaft at TDC and then flipping it over I hear the noise, going back and forth I hear the tink, tink, tink...

Sounds very familiar.
 My two cent answer to your 'million dollar question', is to pull it out and dress it so it's a snug fit. Otherwise oil coming in will flow around the outside and defeat the purpose of the tube- to a degree.

This bit bothers me;
The Allen plugs went in so hard that I thread checked them twice. I bet I ran out of "welly" before I got the tin tube pinched up decent.

The way I understand it and did so is the timing side needs to not butt up tight as per Zanders post;
After checking all oil ways etc., ............. in my case was the bell end facing the timing side.  The plug with the projection was located at the small end side of the tube, and obviously, the flat plug at the bell end, leaving the oil feed hole clear.  Once I'd fitted the location bolt, the tube could be moved slightly by sticking a finger in and wobbling it about a bit, but I took that as being normal. Also, I've re-used the existing plugs.  I'd appreciate a heads up if any of this is wrong!!!

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that the tube should be not loose to rattle, and GB;
The Plunger doesn't have that tube.

Yep, and it may or not be overkill, but if the factory used it for the rest of the run, it can't be doing any harm. We just need to think through the dynamics of it and think about it...yep I know oil technology has changed so won't go there. Quite simply, my personal opinion is leaving the tube in is covering ones bases, leave it out and take a risk-or not

I used a (Loctite or Selleys) Hydraulic sealer to seal my plugs but forget the number, but think it's green

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 04.06. 2017 02:22 »
hi, with the crank sludge trap plug removed you should be able to see the top flywheel bold nose protrude through the main hole in the tube.the flywheel bolt locates the tube and its possible your bolt is wrong.