Author Topic: Pushrod Comb  (Read 1267 times)

Offline chotus52

• Moving Up
Pushrod Comb
« on: 06.06. 2017 12:02 »
Would anyone know where I can get a pushrod comb in Melbourne, Australia? No luck with Modak.
55 GF s/a

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: Pushrod Comb
« Reply #1 on: 06.06. 2017 14:15 »
In 40+ years of attempting to use a pushrod comb, I have invariably given up and resorted to bits of bent wire and a thin screwdriver. If you succeed in your quest to find one, your dreams may not be answered...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.06. 2017 14:36 »
In 40+ years of attempting to use a pushrod comb, I have invariably given up and resorted to bits of bent wire and a thin screwdriver. If you succeed in your quest to find one, your dreams may not be answered...
Ditto
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2017 15:03 »
You could make one?
I had a quick look for a drawing but couldn't see one.
Plenty of pictures though and you can work out spacing by measuring the rocker arms and just gauge the offset.  Would be dead easy and you could even use simple to work material (even plastic of perspex?).
I have very little experience unlike most on here so bow to their vast knowledge - but I have done the job a couple of times and have used the comb with no problems at all.

Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.06. 2017 15:26 »
If the damn thing would stay put it may be useful. I guess a Bulldog clip fixed to the comb that would clip onto the head fins and hold it in place might be a good idea. However, slackening off the adjusters and using elastic bands to hold the rocker arms up so the cups are as low as possible makes the job a lot easier. You need to turn the engine over slowly while the rocker box is loosely attached so you can feel all four valves being depressed and then use a torch to inspect the tops of the pushrods because they can (and will) sit on the edge of the cup.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 06.06. 2017 20:18 »
I have never used a comb, just a bent piece of wire-torch-long thin screwdriver-a quick prayer and they just drop in. *beer*

ELLIS

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.06. 2017 21:32 »

Same here...
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.06. 2017 22:10 »

Same here...

Not for 40 years but otherwise the same here, I use the elastic bands and screw driver (or steel or piece of wire whatever's nearest ) to rangle them into place, but two always align themselves anyway so only two rods might need a tap to go into place. The real "secret" is to use the elastic bands and back the adjusters right off this makes it easy. The combs stuff up any gasket goo you carefully applied as well.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2017 22:42 »
I've used the comb for nearly 50 years with no trouble. You need the rocker box bolts to locate it.

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 06.06. 2017 23:37 »
You'd be welcome to borrow mine, but I'm an hour west of Melbourne.
Could make a perspex one in no time, especially using one as a pattern.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 07.06. 2017 09:33 »
If the damn thing would stay put it may be useful. I guess a Bulldog clip fixed to the comb that would clip onto the head fins and hold it in place might be a good idea. However, slackening off the adjusters and using elastic bands to hold the rocker arms up so the cups are as low as possible makes the job a lot easier. You need to turn the engine over slowly while the rocker box is loosely attached so you can feel all four valves being depressed and then use a torch to inspect the tops of the pushrods because they can (and will) sit on the edge of the cup.

Just used mine tonight.
 Slacken off tappets, stick gaskets to rockerbox, clamp comb to left side top fin (with a packer), install rockerbox, position rockers, and check pushrods are in place with a small torch. Tighten bolts and nuts evenly.
Try WWWBSARocketman out in Berwick for a comb. You may also borrow mine, pick up and return at Kilsyth BH
Cheers Peter
59 Super Rocket 

Offline chotus52

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 29.06. 2017 13:36 »
Tks for the kind offers to borrow a comb. I ended up buying one on eBay. Regards
55 GF s/a