Author Topic: Roller bearing conversion A10 engine  (Read 1327 times)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
Roller bearing conversion A10 engine
« on: 05.06. 2017 01:48 »
I live in NC. Where in the Southeastern  US can I get this done?
Thanks

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Roller bearing conversion A10 engine
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2017 13:51 »
There used to be a couple shops, but you pay the money and take a chance.

British Only used to farm it out to someone, but I don't know who.

Frank Diehl used to do it, but I have heard that might not be the best choice.

There is a place on the east coast that offered this for $1500.00 maybe 5 years ago, you would have to search them out.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2017 13:55 »
It's murky on this side of the pond.

I think any engine rebuild shop with the equipment and understanding of what's trying to be accomplished should easily be able to handle this work.

Now the other side of the coin.  Many feel that unless you are racing, the conversion is not needed at all.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.06. 2017 14:05 »
If you must have it done, a few hundred dollars for shipping might be worth having it in the trusted hands of SRM. Here's a thought, treat yourself to a trip to the UK (specifically, Aberystwyth, Wales) carrying the crankcase (with crankshaft, rods and pistons) as baggage. That will offset shipping one way while fullfilling that vacation you've been postponing.

Richard L.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2017 14:22 »
Again, do you really need it? In 40+ years of thrashing our A7 & A10, the standard bottom ends have held up just fine. I have also heard tales of people not being absolutely delighted with the conversion.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2017 14:48 »
SRM converted my A10 over 30years ago, very happy with the conversion and no problems at all encountered. Had a lot of bush problems in the 1970s when the proper post 1957 Vandervell timing side bushes were no longer easily available and only cheap pattern ones, sometimes with the oil holes in the wrong place were on offer by dealers.

Would not want to go back to the bush. No end float problems and no pulling the roller off to reset float, no more poor quality bushes, no bush wear reducing oil to big ends.

As ever it is a matter of individual preference.

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #6 on: 05.06. 2017 14:50 »
I agree with Blacksheep, I've done 2 motors with the SRM conversion, one failed after 13,000 miles, the small ball bearings started to break up. The 2nd motor has only 3000 miles on it so we'll see. I've spent a lot of money on these motors, especially the 1st one I did, and in hind sight I would have rebuilt the engine the standard way. I rebuilt my '54 GF without the conversion and it's been going for 7 years with no problems. If you change the oil regularly, the bottom end will last a long time.

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 05.06. 2017 15:58 »
I've had mine converted by SRM back in 2002 and have had not problems ,touch wood , with it at all ,I had decided that I'd like a long term fix and certainly seem to have got that . However back in my youth with a total of 5 other standard A10 engines I only had one bottom end let go and that was my fault  *bash*  *sad*  so as was said you pays your money and makes your choice !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom