Author Topic: Tips for running in a rebuild and long distance biking  (Read 1778 times)

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
First of all I need to thank Beezermacc for thick washer that he sent me for the ATD unit. Cheers!.

Righto, I've done a mechanical restoration on my 1950 BSA A10 sidecar outfit and that another BSA is back on the road after 50 years of sitting in a shed  *smile*. I'm aiming to motorcycle from Helsingborg, Sweden to Llandudno, Wales at the end of next week and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on a) running in the newly rebuilt engine and b) if anyone has any tips from their own riding experience.

My current rough plan is to spend 2 days testing the motorcycle out in the Swedish countryside (do about 50 miles on it) and then change the engine oil for the 900 mile trip to Wales...then probably change the oil again there?

As far as preparing the long ride, I'm just taking some essential tools (spanners, sockets, screwdrivers) and a few spare nuts and bolts...
West Sweden & North Wales
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tips for running in a rebuild and long distance biking
« Reply #1 on: 11.06. 2017 17:44 »
I'm leaving it to experienced long-distance A10ers to give advice as to what to bring. I do have a question, though. Are you riding back, as well?

Richard L.

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 11.06. 2017 18:00 »
@RichardL Yep, the plan is spend a few weeks holiday in Wales before motorcycling back to Sweden :)
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.06. 2017 18:53 »
Looks like Aberystwyth (thus, SRM) is about 3 hours from Llandudno. The former is a place I would definately want to visit on my trip to Wales if I'd just finished a 900 mile ride and about to start another.

Richard L.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 12.06. 2017 06:12 »
Don't forget a spare inner tube. I assume you are running in new pistons and big ends. It's the usual stuff than. Don't labour the engine at low revs. Let it speed up on the downhills, slow down on the uphills. Don't try and run in on synthetic oil. Use a straight oil or a regular multigrade. Shut the throttle once in a while - it lets the thrust face of the pistons get a little extra lube. Enjoy the trip. As they say, if a bike will do 30 miles, it will do 300 miles. Just do that 3 times!
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 12.06. 2017 06:57 »
To break in new rings, (or glazed up bores) find a quiet straight road, get into top gear with low revs and accelerate up to high revs.
Change the oil after a few miles. Now, no labouring, extended idling or high revs for 500 miles. Change the oil again, it's false economy to extend oil changes.
If the engine starts first kick hot or cold (and doesn't leak a lot of oil) *conf* you have done a good job of it and should be able to do a long trip with confidence.
As Black Sheep says, take a spare tube. And levers and patch kit and a pump. I take a tool kit with WW spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape and tie wire.
 Log onto this forum if you breakdown, we are everywhere now and could assist you!   *smile* Take it easy and don't let them push you on the highways.  *eek*
Finally, enjoy the trip.
Cheers Peter

PS A half chewed Mintie will seal up a leaking petrol tank!
59 Super Rocket 

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 12.06. 2017 08:27 »
Rule #1 as others have said don't labor it. Warm up is essential but not too long (2-3 minutes). Do a few 50 mile runs then change the oil. Usually a head re-torque but if it ain't leaking, re do tappets and go for it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.06. 2017 09:53 »
Defo a good head retorquing after a few heat cycles. I'd be tempted to pack a second annealed head gasket if you don't get to put too many miles on prior. But then I've previously been unlucky in that department.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 12.06. 2017 15:26 »
Owain, I'm interested in the route you will be taking. A Google search shows a route of about 1900 kms ea way with at least two long ferry rides. That route is partly thru Western Europe.
Aside from packing lots of tools and spares, especially ignition related items(seems to be the weak point on old bikes) some hot shot hand warmers can be a lifesaver on high mountain passes, should there be any on your route.

Glen

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 12.06. 2017 20:29 »
Ok, no labouring the engine. It might be a bit hard with this one as it'll be pulling a sidecar the entire way. Otherwise, I'll try to take it easy with no high revs or prolonged idling. I'm putting together an extensive tool kit now, so I should be able to cope with most eventualities...except for a blown head gasket :/. Spare inner tube is a good idea. I'll put it on the list.

@worntorn, I'm trying to take the most direct route possible with as many ferries as possible so that the motorcycle I won't be riding the motorcycle non-stop for more than 2-3hrs + I think my dog needs a break as well from sitting in the sidecar ;). Current route is looking like this:
Day 1: Helsingborg (Sweden) to Helsingør (Denmark) and take the E47 all the way down to Rødbyhavn (about a 2hr ride). Take the ferry from Rødbyhavn to Puttgarden (Germany). Ride on autobahn 1 from Puttgarden to Bremen (about a 3hr ride). Sleep.

Day 2: Ride from Bremen to Amsterdam (Holland) with a pit stop along the way (about 3.5hrs). Have a cup of tea with a friend in Amsterdam. Then get onto the boat from Hook of Holland to Harwich (England). Get off the boat at Harwich and stay at a B&B somewhere.

Day 3: Possibly ride to Cardiff (S.Wales) and stay with a friend or ride directly to North Wales (M1/M6/A55)...Possibly jumping onto the A5 at Shrewsbury instead.
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 12.06. 2017 20:43 »
 Spare inner tube is a good idea. I'll put it on the list.................don't forget a spare tube for the sidecar too if its a different size to the bike wheels  *smiley4*
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 12.06. 2017 21:30 »
Hi,
I would try and avoid the motorways as much as possible
My experiences on UK motorways is that the minimum speed is 60+ MPH
Trucks hog the "slow" lane and often travel nose to tail  *sad2* *eek*

Good Luck
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 12.06. 2017 22:40 »
How would you drive if you were limited to 90k? Yes you would also be nose to tail.

ELLIS   ( ex trucker )

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 12.06. 2017 23:56 »

My current rough plan is to spend 2 days testing the motorcycle out in the Swedish countryside (do about 50 miles on it)

If possible I would recommend 500 miles of testing  *whistle* I say this as despite my best efforts I had a few serious problems surface after quite a few hours of running in  *problem* (blown head gasket due to duff torque wrench, gearbox bush failure due to duff part supplied etc).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 13.06. 2017 00:46 »
Avoid high revs obviously and dont labour the engine as has been said.

If you rebuilt it properly it will get you there and back no problem

As for what to take?

Lots and lots of cash cos if it does go wrong you will need it :)