Author Topic: removing front fork bushings  (Read 6877 times)

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
Re: removing front fork bushings
« Reply #15 on: 03.06. 2009 12:45 »
Hi Snowbeard!
Hows it coming on?
Now i looked at your forks pictures and there going to be 66-67 onwards.
Stick with them there better than the earlier A10, i think that maybe the fork oil seal holders from A10 will fit (can anyone confirm this???) Part number 29-5310 these are the deep type, although the UK A65 had deep holders for your forks 41-5142. I cant spot much different (at the holder) other than the dished ring to retain the bush rather than the circlip

Now would you like me to send you a parts book that gives you a break down of those particular forks?

I have a PDF file right now here in front of me so if you need it give me a shout

Kind Regards

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 03.06. 2009 17:03 »
Hi Steve, I very much appreciate the offer, but a kind soul already took pity on me and sent a pdf spares book 00-5137 to reference.   I'm not opposed to further information if yours is different tho!

one thing I'm wondering about, the stanchions (shaft) in the book look straight all the way down, but what I have are stepped from the top, with a ring where the bottom yoke clamps, then tapered down to the slider section, then even where the slider slides.  is that correct for the 68? or are these from an earlier A10?

also wondering, the dished ring as a retainer for the bush, is that supposed to be pressed into the slider?  mine was stuck up under the fork seals and responsible for the binding...

thanks for all the help!!

\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 04.06. 2009 08:56 »
Hi Snowbeard!

As there normally all tapered at the top to fit the fork yokes (thats why they can be a bugger to get out!).

Sounds like they might be A65, 1964-1967 i'll tell you i have never found so many variations on a theme! there are so many variations on British bikes i will never say never! because who knows whats happened to them and whats been fitted over all those years! Another spanner in the works is the differences between UK and Export models.

Is there another oil hole drilled further up the fork leg? or just 4 round the bottom?

I think they might be these ....68-5144 ...... 22 3/4" long they were for A65 64-67 (But not 65 some 65 forks were different).

What do you think?

I'll take a look at my parts books see if its the same as what you have and let you know

All the best

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 04.06. 2009 19:35 »
yes, quite a few bits exist out there, was talking to the fellow who traded me the bits and we discussed how Triumph was not willing to put out lots of various models, they just picked something and stuck with it, but BSA had a million different styles all tailored to the public desires, and so it becomes ever so much harder to keep track of all the differences and such, even with the Bacon books!

so it's pretty hard to see what I was getting at in the picture I provided, so I broke it down and annotated for clarity.

A is tapered as standard for the top yoke.
B is relatively parallel, but roughly lathed
C is slightly  raised larger in diameter and parallel for the bottom yoke
D is the second taper, again roughly lathed down to the smaller slider section E, which is parallel for the rest of the run.  the lowest looking ring in E is just where the bottom bush was attached.

I only see the four holes around the very bottom of the legs, but there could be one I missed if it is plugged up, but I wire wheeled them clean to see what I really have and didn't notice one.

those ones you have pictured look very nice, all hard chromed and all. 
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 04.06. 2009 22:31 »
Hi Snowbeard

Guess you have a name too!

I think your legs are the same as in the pictures i sent (someone has them on Ebay at the moment). But its always difficult to be 100%. but looking at the other types these look right 68-5144. You guys love your chrome dont you! ;)

The later ones had shuttle valves and your Stantion isn't a shuttle valve type and its not the earlier A10, 2 hole type.

That parts book you have shows the same fork picture as the one i was going to send you but if you need a parts book or info drop me a line.

All the best

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 05.06. 2009 00:33 »
ha, I guess I do have a real name, Nathan, but I've gone by snowbeard on various forums and made enough friends in my real day to day life that actually refer to me that way, I rarely think anything of it.  it all started with a telemark skiing website where I used the name because of my beard getting frozen full of ice and snow, on account of I fell a lot...  ;D

so I might be interested to find those on ebay, but i didn't see them in any of the searches I tried?  maybe I'm in the wrong country...  feel free to email me off list if you don't want to go advertising ebay auctions...

and thanks again for all the help.  I am planning to go by a local friend's house with all my parts and see what they think of all of it, plus hopefully find a half set of the bushings to complete that part of all this.
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 05.06. 2009 01:01 »
Snowbeard,

That does solve the name mystery. It's a bit more comfortable to call you by the handle knowing its the same one outside cyberspace. Frankly, if people I know started calling me "manosound" it would feel really awkward. That was just a nom d'plume I used on an audiophile forum and I had it as an email address, as well. Had I known I would become so active in this forum I would have chosen something more fitting, like "manogas". OK, maybe that's not so good. Just "Richard" is fine, but I'll keep the member name as it is.

Oh yeah, the forks, good luck with that. You don't need my advice because what you're getting is excellent.

Richard L.

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 05.06. 2009 15:07 »
Hi Nathan, Richard,

No problem with the fork stantions, im not selling them! Its a company called Heritage Motorcycles.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/HERITAGE-MOTORCYCLE-PARTS__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Item Number 140311886118.

I cant tell you the number of Nick names ive had over the years! Werzel it a common one.... some of the others are unmentionable!

Cheers Richard
Safe riding to you both

Regards
Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman