• Wise & Enlightened
Blimey!
« on: 27.06. 2017 10:43 »
Really?!

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Best Friend
Re: Blimey!
« Reply #1 on: 27.06. 2017 12:56 »
GB - intrigued to know if you think that's expensive or cheap?  I suspect you think it's expensive!
I'm interested because I have a bunch of engine spares (not much short of a complete motor) and was wondering if I'd be better selling the bits or as a complete engine kit ready for rebuild.
I've been looking around and I do appreciate that within the forum here parts are generally way cheaper than they are on the open market.  That said I think £2000 for a complete motor, with dynamo, mag, clutch, primary etc is a bargain.  I know I have way more than £3500 in my motor for the equivalent lump - and I didn't pay anything like MB transits prices for anything.
Would be interested to hear if I'm alone thinking £2000 is okay for a complete motor?  Clearly the guy that sold it didn't think it was worth it - LOL
Maybe I do need to sell off my bits separately when I get round to it - on ebay - LOL.

Cheers
Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 27.06. 2017 13:24 »
I let someone have a A7 SS motor and mag for £15 back in 1979 ,cheecky sod came back a week later and asked for some money back as he'd found a loose valve guide ,my reply wasn't printable here !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 27.06. 2017 13:26 »
Mmmm...I suppose to someone like Prince Charles, or a eurocrat, it would be equivalent to one of us bikers losing 2 pence - we probably wouldn't know we have lost it.  If they want it, they get it no matter what, a mere pittance to them....Money isn't everything, but, it helps being miserable more bearable, or, it's what the rich tell us poor to stop us rioting.....

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.06. 2017 16:06 »
GB - intrigued to know if you think that's expensive or cheap?  I suspect you think it's expensive!
Clearly the guy that sold it didn't think it was worth it - LOL
Converts to £2,739.46 today.
Yes, I did think it was expensive and the guy that posted the piece thought he'd done ok; however, after reading your comment I see your point. I spent about £4k doing my machine up and that didn't include any major engine work.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 27.06. 2017 16:29 »
I recently had a look at my receipts from 2002 when I refurbed mine  gave up when it was well over £3000 and quietly slide them back into there draw , shudder to think how much it would cost now,
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 27.06. 2017 17:30 »
Mine still owes me. Must have been over 10 years now.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 27.06. 2017 18:17 »
Oh what a cheapskate I am. My A7 cost £45 and I have spent precious little on it over the years. The only major expenses being the odd replacement exhaust and a powder coated frame. I have picked up useful spares along the way, but only if they were cheap. Not sure I would know how to spend £3,000 on it... 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.06. 2017 22:29 »
Try restoring one in America, especially a very incomplete basket case. I'm not cheap on the parts or services I have to pay for. All the stainless didn't help either.

I'm going to say I will have 3 times more in it than it's worth.

But that still makes it way cheaper than woman, booze, or gambling.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 27.06. 2017 22:44 »
My first plunger back in 1972 cost me £4 and I never spent a penny on it for 2 years  *smile*

One things for sure that guy who bought that engine would have had trouble getting it into a plunger frame with that alloy head on it

Well he would have got the engine in but I wonder what he did with the carb?

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 28.06. 2017 08:10 »
Complete engines don't come up for sale these days  *problem* I can see an alloy head, thick flange, maggy and genny. Probably got a LJ crank too. If you look at the difference in price between a bastard case and a complete motorcycle you will see the value in this engine  *smile*
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900