Author Topic: Split Link  (Read 904 times)

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Split Link
« Reply #15 on: 11.07. 2017 18:30 »
A unit construction Norton? Must be a lightweight

Wearing out a chain on a Norton Jubilee would be an achievement.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: Split Link
« Reply #16 on: 11.07. 2017 22:50 »
Depends on the brand of Chain,, (#1 on the Andy Chain guy in the UK) but people do all kinds of things to make it work,  On older bikes that rarely get ridden I use a local chain company and their  530 HD grade chain works great and lasts a long time.  They make a regular 530 too and for lightweight bikes its fine.  Its important to know your dimensions when sourcing a link, for example the above company supplys 530 in regular and HD (Heavy duty).
See: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-wheels-and-final-drive/chains/western-power-sports-530-standard-motorcycle-chain

(Dealer price-warehouse cost is even cheaper)

Some turn down their sprockets and run a 520 O ring and that was the hot trick for a long time but the problem is heat treat on the sprockets and not for the timid.

But many seem to run the modern X ring chain and they have extensive benefits but with out the clearance issues when running the 530 width in X ring.  I have a few boxs of them to try but have not been riding much lately so untested but a prelim clearance check shows them having a great deal of promise.

I would HIGHLY recommend ALWAYS carrying a spare master link. (many reasons)  But the modern chain requires the pins to be smooshed into place so not easy to remove and replace is the only downside.  (Plus a good tool to do it).   Was just discussing chain options with another guy and while chains have their place,, I LOVE  *loveit* *loveit* the belt drives on primarys and final drives,  I have a number of Buells and several Sporties and I just think its the greatest thing in the world,.  Not really relevant here except for the primaries..  But thats my opinion *smiley4*
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.