Author Topic: Head Steady Set-up  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Head Steady Set-up
« Reply #15 on: 05.07. 2017 19:03 »
Your right Tomcat, the pattern bolt heads are longer, hence why I was having a problem...mine will be winging their way back to where they came from today. I've now refitted the old bolts for the time being so that I can ride the bike at least.
Out of interest, I've pictured the old bolts as I'd like to know if they're original...I've always tended to think that bolts with stamping marks are aftermarket, (that's certainly true with japanese bikes) but I'm not sure about the 3 bolts with 'Wiley' on them. The 'SPARTS' bolt does have a marginally longer head so I'm guessing this is an imposter!

What was the original problem with your bolts?

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 06.07. 2017 08:49 »
It wasn't a problem as such, it was more to do with appearance. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that the bolts were a replacement of the originals and as they didn't look great, I thought I'd fit new...that's where the problem started!

Julian...thanks for the photo

Steve

Steve

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 27.03. 2021 09:59 »
Do the head to frame plates go inside or outside the lugs on the rocker cover?

Reason for the question is that I've bought a stainless steel dress up version.  The new spacer is longer than the original but not long enough to fit snugly between the lugs.  If the plates go on the inside it will need shortening and padding with washers if the plates go on the outside.  I know the angles at the plate ends will need altering which ever way they go.

I think my original plates went on the inside but not sure now as I rushed removing the old kit and didn't take much notice, expecting the new kit to be obvious!  (Sack cloth for a week) *sad2*

Regards to all.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 27.03. 2021 13:34 »
Below may help. The earlier version used a longer spacing tube.

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 27.03. 2021 16:35 »
Hi JulianS

Thanks for that.  Excellent reply.  My question answered in full.  Well done *smile*