Author Topic: oil ring  (Read 1400 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
oil ring
« on: 04.07. 2017 15:42 »
Ok looks like maybe I'm about to be dragged into 2017 (with your help)
This time last year we decided to replace our faithful but ageing Focus and bought a new Fiesta thereby creating our very own Bankers crash/recession.
Turned out well the three cylinder Fiesta give more power than the 1.6 (sports) Focus but gives a good ten miles more to the gallon (even with a bit of turbo thumping), but I need to restore our meagre savings so the plan is to sell my Flash (still got the custom RGF).
What with my knee operation it had sat in the shed for sometime idle, so started to kick it over a month or so ago and noticed it was a tad smoky, probably to be expected, but thought I'd put a set of new rings in, turned out one oil control ring was broken.
So purchased a set of Hepolite rings from Classic bike shop, rings look fine and delivered in four days.
Here's the thing the oil control ring has two parts, the ring and a sort of beaded ring inside it, photos below, I've not come on these before so would love some info on fitting them, the inner beaded ring has a wire running through it, do I have to cut this beaded ring and wire to size? or discard it.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: oil ring
« Reply #1 on: 04.07. 2017 16:25 »
The original Hepolite company called them super drain oil with helical coil spring.

Video link might help. Or ask the supplier.

https://www.hastingspistonrings.com/tech-tips-faqs/installation-of-1-or-2-piece-oil-rings

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 04.07. 2017 18:32 »
They are a bit of a pain to fit tho I did a set for a friend a couple of weeks back

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.07. 2017 12:39 »
Thanks for the video and info guys.
The video mentions the gap in the coil ( I think) the coil is held together with a wire, as you can see from  my new photos the coil is to big for the piston and looks like it needs to be cut to size, the ring when in the unused part of the bore has a gap of 9 thou (should be 11 right). did you have to cut yours Bikerboy?

Haven't got around to looking further at the mo (you tube might shed some light)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 06.07. 2017 00:19 »
I never did any cutting even tho the coil seemed big it went in with the help of the piston ring clamps of course

The instructions with the pistons never mentioned cutting the coil to size?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.07. 2017 22:13 »
emailed the supplier www.Classicbikeshop.co.uk (ebay) about the col in the oil ring, got no reply, probably thought it was a dumb question which if honest it was.
did buy another set of rings just in case and did need them.
Yep I managed to break one of the oil rings through a rather basic mistake, I had one of the ring clamps upside down  *sad2* *sad2*
All the best - Bill

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 11.07. 2017 07:08 »
Hells teeth - I've got a set of those rings sitting on the bench awaiting fitting.  What with the current saga with con rod bolts, don't say I've got another drama in waiting!  I'm beginning to think that ignorance is bliss!
'59 GF

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.07. 2017 10:06 »
Hells teeth - I've got a set of those rings sitting on the bench awaiting fitting.

Well with care you should be OK, previous to fitting them I squished them up in the piston to make sure the spring bit would compress enough to allow the ring to compress enough to fit in the cylinder, which it did, and left them like that over the weekend whilst we entertained ???? our Grandson.

Monday I put the pistons on the rods, rings on, clamps on, two wood strips to support the pistons and lowered the barrels onto the pistons, first and second rings no problem just slid on down, timing side oil ring entered fine  but drive side was a problem and I guess patience was at a premium after long weekend with Grandson.
somehow I just knew that "click" was not good, my ring clamps have one side (topside)  complete allowing them to totally encase the ring all the way around, the other side has a cut-out, don't why but I had this one on upside down so driveside ring had the little escape area - enough to stop it sliding up into the barrel - 73 years old and still learning I guess.
Best of luck but I'm sure you'll be fine
All the best - Bill

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 11.07. 2017 16:14 »
 Thats the kind of stuff I was worried about, I just did this last month.

Not being practiced with installing two pistons at the same time, I went the other way.

I inserted the pistons and rings into the bores, then lowered the cylinder block down and installed the wristpins and circlips.

This worked well, and I was sure I had not broken a wring in the process. The downside is you have to fiddle with the circlips when your not in a comfortable position and you absolutely need a second person.

My wife helped me. *smile*

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 11.07. 2017 16:48 »
I inserted the pistons and rings into the bores, then lowered the cylinder block down and installed the wristpins and circlips.

a nice bit of lateral thinking Lee, though those circlips can be tricky often look like there in when they're not quite.
On balance if I were to need to put new rings in I would go for the two part oil rings again knowing what I know now
All the best - Bill

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 11.07. 2017 20:07 »
...The downside is you have to fiddle with the circlips when your not in a comfortable position and you absolutely need a second person.
My wife helped me. *smile*
Brings a whole new perspective to 'With this ring...'
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash