Author Topic: Cut-out not responding  (Read 595 times)

Offline Rendezvousman

• Active
Cut-out not responding
« on: 07.07. 2017 07:45 »
Hi and my first post after joining

When I press the red cut out button on the switch assembly (horm, cut-out and dip) the engine slows down but does not stop. It seems it just cuts one cylinder

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Rendezvousman

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cut-out not responding
« Reply #1 on: 07.07. 2017 08:44 »

Hola R-man I'm not familiar with this layout but suspect is not rocket science *eek*...

I daresay it's nothing more scientific than a crappy earth, as the handle bar isa bit isolated from the rest by the headstock bearings/grease.

Start at the Maggy earth cutout wire (what end-cap do you have) and progressively earth it out up the wire...if yea kernow whut ah means ??
 Maybe add a straggly wire to the end cap that can be easily earthed (when desired/needed), and go from there
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rendezvousman

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 07.07. 2017 09:04 »
Thanks duTch

I have the end cap with the terminal and carbon rod.  Will start at the end cap as you suggest

Cheers

R-Man

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.07. 2017 09:29 »

Yeah- you know what I mean hey (a long enough wire to earth-out anywhere on the engine ) ? Also make sure the brush inside the cover is a good contact on the centre-bolt.

Also I have to add before the other nosy bunch do, quietly sneak over to "intros/blah-blah& other blah" and make up a never-ending story about your bike to keep everyone happy *shh* *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.07. 2017 17:51 »
This is often a symptom of the earth brush (not the kill switch brush) failing to make good contact with its brass track on the armature.

On my K2F, it's under this screw.  There are other layouts.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 07.07. 2017 21:53 »
G'day Rendezvousman.
That was one of my first problems when I got the plunger going for the 1st time back in 81. It ran fine but I couldn't stop it!!!
TT has the answer.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7