Author Topic: A7 timing side noise  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 timing side noise
« Reply #30 on: 20.07. 2017 07:58 »
I wonder if you could borrow a boroscope, which MIGHT enable you to see any valve/piston kissing marks via the spark plug holes.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #31 on: 20.07. 2017 08:23 »
The marketplace has exploded with cheap borescopes of all kinds.  I am a certified NDT inspector for Aerospace and they used to be stupid expensive,,,  In other career in kind of the opposite end I worked as a maint tech for a govt agency and we used to use scopes all the time for such things as looking inside walls and crawlspaces but most commonly in pipes and sewers.  You CAN spend a lot on them.
But in the last 12 months many people have been buying them online from eBay, Amazon and others and much entertainment posting videos and pictures online to friends of internals of Gearboxs, engines and such.  One of the locals in our Norton club has been posting a lot of this.
Heres one example,,, See: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LEU9SRU/ref=asc_df_B01LEU9SRU5083404/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01LEU9SRU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198112160800&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9080657323932829039&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032950&hvtargid=pla-320708499343

Hooks right up to your crackberry. Update your facebook pix while you are at it
(Bob Smiths relationship status is "Worn bushings and cam journals").   I think this could be a wonderful addition to anyones toolbox, and plan to start researching a good one for Auto-Motorcycle applications as it could be very useful.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 20.07. 2017 14:03 »

Thats a judgement call, and your the judge my friend.

I would do everything besides split the cases to find out what the noise is and where its coming from just for my own piece of mind.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #33 on: 20.07. 2017 20:28 »
G'day Anji.
It would be really helpful if you could post a video (with good sound) of turning the motor over by hand (plugs out) then a little quicker with the kickstart then with the motor running. Or even a sound recording with your phone and email that to me.
If you decide to ride her, just do a few short (5-10 mile) runs to see if it gets any worse. Then increase the distance to a few 50 mile rides.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 20.07. 2017 22:16 »
Anji, the iron head engines are not normally noisy.

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #35 on: 24.07. 2017 11:57 »
I wonder if you could borrow a boroscope, which MIGHT enable you to see any valve/piston kissing marks via the spark plug holes.
Trying to locate one on Amazon. India. What would be a good one to buy as I have no clue

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #36 on: 24.07. 2017 11:58 »
The marketplace has exploded with cheap borescopes of all kinds.  I am a certified NDT inspector for Aerospace and they used to be stupid expensive,,,  In other career in kind of the opposite end I worked as a maint tech for a govt agency and we used to use scopes all the time for such things as looking inside walls and crawlspaces but most commonly in pipes and sewers.  You CAN spend a lot on them.
But in the last 12 months many people have been buying them online from eBay, Amazon and others and much entertainment posting videos and pictures online to friends of internals of Gearboxs, engines and such.  One of the locals in our Norton club has been posting a lot of this.
Heres one example,,, See: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LEU9SRU/ref=asc_df_B01LEU9SRU5083404/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01LEU9SRU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198112160800&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9080657323932829039&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032950&hvtargid=pla-320708499343

Hooks right up to your crackberry. Update your facebook pix while you are at it
(Bob Smiths relationship status is "Worn bushings and cam journals").   I think this could be a wonderful addition to anyones toolbox, and plan to start researching a good one for Auto-Motorcycle applications as it could be very useful.

Looking for one but need to know what to pickup. Huge range in price from 800 to 12000( rupees )

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #37 on: 24.07. 2017 12:06 »
G'day Anji.
It would be really helpful if you could post a video (with good sound) of turning the motor over by hand (plugs out) then a little quicker with the kickstart then with the motor running. Or even a sound recording with your phone and email that to me.
If you decide to ride her, just do a few short (5-10 mile) runs to see if it gets any worse. Then increase the distance to a few 50 mile rides.
Cheers
Hi Muskrat
I have a recording but need your mail ID. Mine is tours@ventureonwheels.in
I have already run the engine stationary for around 10 mins on fast idle. Initially less sound but builds up soon & then stays constant.Dosent affect the running of the engine but is very irritating
On turning by hand the sound seems like valve seating & comes when the valves are opening or closing. Cant figure it out as the cam bushes are new & there is no play in the rocker spindles.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 24.07. 2017 12:07 »
What would be a good one to buy as I have no clue

a major consideration is the size of the scopes lens end if you want to poke it through a plug hole.
I bought one many years ago for other uses including looking into the rocker box, I was disappointed it would not go through the plug hole, they have as been said got much smaller these days, might have another look although not required at the mo
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 24.07. 2017 12:14 »
Hi
Started up the engine. Running sweet but noisy valve gear. Oil flow adequate as oil reaching rockers, timing cover & hopefully the camshaft. Tappets set at .010. No end float on breather. Negligible back lash on gears. New cam bushes. Old rockers as replacements not available, but good fit on shafts. Any suggestions ?
Anji

Build up a new engine with all timingside bushes new. Go for a testride froum about 40 km. Engine runs fine with good acceleration, but when I m at home there was sometimes a violent noise, only at tick over.
Result was an idler pinion with less sideplay. Only a shim to much, and a solved problem done in half an hour.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 24.07. 2017 16:28 »
HI ANji,
A while ago I built a BSA single engine and on turning the engine over it made a Clicky / pinging noise  *eek*
After some investigation it turned out to be a valve spring becoming coil bound at full lift
One of the new springs had an extra 2/3 turn of wire but was the correct overall length

See can you open each valve further when fully open (lever)

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 25.07. 2017 01:21 »
What would be a good one to buy as I have no clue

a major consideration is the size of the scopes lens end if you want to poke it through a plug hole.
I bought one many years ago for other uses including looking into the rocker box, I was disappointed it would not go through the plug hole, they have as been said got much smaller these days, might have another look although not required at the mo

Bill, you were supposed to buy the boroscope not the used sigmoidoscope.

Richard L.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #42 on: 29.07. 2017 04:58 »
G'day all.
Anji sent me a video of the noise.
https://youtu.be/pKgXLBPowFc
1st time I've posted a youtube thing so hope it works.
Now the double click IS timing gear backlash (a lot louder than mine when tested last night) but what is the single click between the double clicks? Testing on my Cafe fitted with a Bunn breather I had a single click at about the same position as Anji's. It was one of the valves operating. So I imagine Anji's single click may be to do with the timed breather.
All thoughts welcome.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #43 on: 29.07. 2017 05:00 »
Doh, then I noticed the timed breather thing isn't in the case.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 29.07. 2017 14:39 »
 I am going to take a wild guess here.

Where the inner primary cover bolts to the motor, there are 5 threaded holes that go all the way through. If one of your screws/bolts is just a bit too long it will hit the crank and make a clicking noise.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.