Author Topic: A7 timing side noise  (Read 3683 times)

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 timing side noise
« Reply #45 on: 29.07. 2017 15:10 »
Have you checked for a broken valve spring?

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #46 on: 29.07. 2017 16:19 »
The 'clack' sounds very much like cam followers to me. I've replaced mine twice very recently, because the new pattern ones sent me were c**p ( the cupped end was a sloppy fit on the p/rod and there was a pip in the cup left by using a cheap or worn ball cutter. I replaced them with original s/h ones . Luckily I managed it by lifting the head and barrel together.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #47 on: 29.07. 2017 20:55 »
G'day Lee.
It's a plunger, the inner primary is part of the left crankcase.

Yes mugwump, I'm thinking sticky followers or as has been mentioned before, the cam and/or followers have been reground to the point where the followers don't drop far enough to reach the cam.

Anji, have you tried setting the tappets to zero or even a few thou" tight? This should keep the followers firm on the cam base circle and reduce the click. If it doesn't were back to cam/followers.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #48 on: 30.07. 2017 12:55 »
G'day Lee.
It's a plunger, the inner primary is part of the left crankcase.

Yes mugwump, I'm thinking sticky followers or as has been mentioned before, the cam and/or followers have been reground to the point where the followers don't drop far enough to reach the cam.

Anji, have you tried setting the tappets to zero or even a few thou" tight? This should keep the followers firm on the cam base circle and reduce the click. If it doesn't were back to cam/followers.
Cheers

Hi Musky
Have taken the tappets down to 0 but noise persists
Cheers

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #49 on: 30.07. 2017 12:56 »
Have you checked for a broken valve spring?
Hi Julian
Checked & no springs seem broken. Will check again
Thanks

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #50 on: 30.07. 2017 13:00 »
HI ANji,
A while ago I built a BSA single engine and on turning the engine over it made a Clicky / pinging noise  *eek*
After some investigation it turned out to be a valve spring becoming coil bound at full lift
One of the new springs had an extra 2/3 turn of wire but was the correct overall length

See can you open each valve further when fully open (lever)

John
Hi John
Will try & check as soon as the rains let up. Been raining non stop for the past 10 days or so ( Monsoons !! ) Will keep you posted
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #51 on: 30.07. 2017 13:03 »
Hi
Started up the engine. Running sweet but noisy valve gear. Oil flow adequate as oil reaching rockers, timing cover & hopefully the camshaft. Tappets set at .010. No end float on breather. Negligible back lash on gears. New cam bushes. Old rockers as replacements not available, but good fit on shafts. Any suggestions ?
Anji

Build up a new engine with all timingside bushes new. Go for a testride froum about 40 km. Engine runs fine with good acceleration, but when I m at home there was sometimes a violent noise, only at tick over.
Result was an idler pinion with less sideplay. Only a shim to much, and a solved problem done in half an hour.

cheers Klaus
Hi Klaus
I think theres adequate end float, but will check as soon as I can work on the bike. Its pissing down for the past 10 days almost non stop
Thanks
Anji

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #52 on: 30.07. 2017 13:15 »
You could slacken off each tappet completely in turn and see if the 'clack' disappears. Alternatively, with all the tappets slackened right off by placing a finger on the push-rod and turning the engine slowly see if the p/rod stays in contact with the cam shaft quietening ramp.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 30.07. 2017 20:18 »
Hi Muskie,
All I can hear on the youtube clip is the kickstart ratchet  *eek*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #54 on: 30.07. 2017 20:47 »
G'day John.
The ratchet noise is on the kickstart return, no ratchet noise when turning the motor over.
If you watch the crankshaft the double click is when the groove for the tab washer appears, the single click is about 90 degrees past it.

Anji, with no clearance at the tappets the followers should be hard against the cam (or hung up on the retaining screws). So this brings me back to timing gear backlash (all A7/A10 motors have the click/click at hand cranking speed, some louder than others (yours are very loud)). OR the cam and followers have been ground and the followers are hung up on the retaining screws.
Does putting the breather and cork back in make any difference ?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #55 on: 30.07. 2017 23:46 »
Why not just start ewmoving things until the noise stops?

Unadjust the tappets and take the idler out see if the clicking stops

If it does then its followers or valves if not then its bottom end

That would be my approach one thing off at a time until it stopped.

I would also turn the engine with a spanner to eliminate that rachet noise, you might even feel it with a spanner and if you can then you know which valve is opening or closing as well.

Thats my two pennies worth anyway

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 31.07. 2017 00:08 »
I'm not reading all previous posts to know if this has been offered, and there have been many other (probably better) explanations, but could it possibly be a rod nut just kissing the case or the crank just kissing a drive-side cover screw?

Richard L.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #57 on: 31.07. 2017 00:59 »
Richard,

I tried the drive side cover screw. The bike is a plunger and I guess it's a different arrangement.

We don't see many plunger A10s on this side of the world. *conf*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: 31.07. 2017 02:01 »
I was more leaning at the rod nut anyway, because the cover screw would scrape along.

Richard L.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #59 on: 31.07. 2017 10:59 »
The only time I had a problem with a rod nut it gave a little scrape before lock up.
BB's method has merit BUT turn the motor to pistons down the bore BEFORE you take the idler gear out. You can then turn the cam pinion without bending a valve.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7