Author Topic: Science! (fitting ARP conrod bolts)  (Read 1893 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Science! (fitting ARP conrod bolts)
« Reply #15 on: 10.07. 2017 15:03 »
Hi,
I measured the bolt stretch on the last A10 engine I built with ARP bolts (original rods)
You need to tighten and release 3 times and make sure the bolts return to the original length each time
It is essential to use the ARP lube when doing this
Stretch at an indicated 28ft/lbs was 0.13mm, From memory that falls with in the ARP recommendations
I will try to remember to dig out the instructions ????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 10.07. 2017 17:03 »
Bugger!  I lubed them, (oil, not ARP lube), then torqued them up to 28 and have now set the end float, fitted the oil pump and am getting on with it.  So, it's ANOTHER strip down and wait while I get the ARP stuff.  Pity Draganfly didn't enclose the instructions which appear to be issued with the ARP bolt set, or advise re the lube,  as obviously it's important to follow the procedure defined by the manufacturer.  Begs the question, are they ARP?  I'm sure they are, but there's nothing anywhere to tell me that. I'm taking it on trust, but at £100 a set, positive identification would be good.   If Draganfly read this, a response would be appreciated.  I'm royally peed off AGAIN! *pull hair out* *problem*
ps I'm going to email Draganfly and ask the question.  So there.... *bash*
'59 GF

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 10.07. 2017 17:19 »
 Zander,

I personally am not entirely sold on the ARP lube. I think you would be fine as long as you did the torque up 3 times with oil as a lube. I have seen their charts and graphs.

I am thinking that lube is great stuff, but its just another way for ARP to make a buck. Now if you had a 3500 HP top fuel dragster, I would say you need every chance to keep that motor together for the 3 seconds it runs hard.

If you have 28 Ft. Lbs. of torques, and everything is free and moves nice, I would run with it myself.

Plus the ARP lube is like copper slip, once you open it everything in a 50 foot radius has a little ARP ultra lube on it. *eek*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 10.07. 2017 17:24 »
Quick update.  I've checked the DF website, and there are two types of con rod bolts available; one is the ARP brand at £20 each, which is what I thought I ordered, and the other is an un- named brand, also at £20 each.  This choice wasn't mentioned when I discussed the order last Thursday, so, as well as having to wait 7 days for delivery, I've not got what I thought I was getting.  According to the invoice,  I think I've got the un-named brand, so I need to clarify this.  If they're standard bolts, I may have overtightened them (28 v 22lbs ft.)  Thanks for comments, Lee - our posts crossed.  Not sure if I need to strip it now, as don't think they're ARP.
Piggin nightmare *problem*
'59 GF

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #19 on: 12.07. 2017 22:50 »
I used to just buy conrod nuts and bolts and fit them with a spot of loctite. Not even a torque wrench in sight. Oddly enough, have never had one let go in coming up for 50 years of hard riding, including a spot of racing.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 13.07. 2017 09:04 »
A number of people are selling these rod bolt sets at various prices. 
See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSA-500-650-Twins-ARP-Connecting-Rod-Bolt-Set-67-1536-1962-72-A10-A50-A65-/121332396810

$79 and free shipping?

" New USA Made ARP Forged BSA Unit 500 & 650 Twins Connecting Rod Bolt Set. Looking for replacement rod bolts set but not exactly sure about the quality of new production rod bolts? We understand your concern! Which is exactly why ARP has made these new forged BSA rod bolts and nuts. ARP rod bolts use the stretch method, if you do not have a stretch gauge, you can torque them to 37 ft-lbs, see the installing slip for more details. (ARP lube not included) Fits all BSA A50 & A65 Twins (Royal Star, A50, Lightning, Lightning Rocket, Firebird, etc) from 1962-1972. Will also fit late 650 A10 Pre-Unit Twins (Road Rocket, Spitfire, Super Rocket, Etc) from 1958-1963 with the "large crankshaft journals" only. Please refer to your parts catalog for proper fitment.  "
----------------------------------
My good Friends at Rabers parts mart (Ask for Richard) has them for $66.00
See: https://www.rabers.com/parts.asp?sp=&mcat=&pcat=E&subcat=E2&pg=6   (PM me for a discount promo code)
---------------------------------
I can supply them as well,, $60 plus shipping.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 19.07. 2017 09:39 »
Update:  last Thursday DF agreed to exchange the bolts for the ARP items, so I stripped it down again and had the bolts in the post before 4:30pm, and on Monday I received notification the replacements had been sent by first class post. Not here yet😟
The invoice states tighten to 28ft.lb ft. but I'm hoping there'll be instructions re the "torque three times " rule.  One of these days I'll actually get this engine done and back in the bike!
'59 GF

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 19.07. 2017 09:56 »

One of these days I'll actually get this engine done and back in the bike!
Delayed gratification! I had to wait 40 years to get mine back on the road!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 19.07. 2017 11:23 »
40 years?  I hope it wasn't cos you had to wait for con rod bolts!   *eek*
'59 GF

Online Greybeard